• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dieting/calorie counting while nursing?

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:55 AM
  • 6 Replies

I'm not sure how to go about this. I have 13lbs of pregnancy weight that I want to lose. In the past I have counted calories (healthy calories) and exercised to lose weight. I use MyFitness Pal and it calculates how many calories to  consume to lose .5lb a week based on your exercise level. I'm not sure how to modify it since I'm nursing... What I started with was letting it tell me how many calories to limit myself to, then i rounded that up about 300 calories. Does that sound right? So I'm consuming roughly 2000 calories a day and exercising a few days a week. I'm not sure if that will allow me to lose any weight though. Anyone done this before? 

by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:25 PM

It varies per person but you usually account for about 250-500kcals to be expended from nursing.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:26 PM

Also.... the only way to really know if you are subtracting/adding enough calories to your diet to lose weight is to take measurements and weight yourself weekly. If you aren't seeing results, change it up.

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:58 PM
And remember, nine months on, nine months off.
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:33 PM
You put the calories burned from nursing as an exercise every day for it to work. Add the calories of aerobics or something.
MaryJarrett
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 2:14 PM
Have you read kellymom.com article? It has a lot of tips. The bottom end of cal intake is 1500/day, but I try to stay around 1800.

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-weightloss/
Vikingmum
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 2:43 PM
Weight watchers has a program for nursing mums, gives you extra points ( quite a few given I got 28 a day pre pregnancy and now have 40, tho I have more to lose this time 😒) and ups the number of portions of water, dairy, fruit/ veg and healthy oil (I.e olive etc for omega 3 ) you should aim for.. I do just online and it costs £11.95 per month (no idea on dollar cost sorry), it helps keep me accountable and motivated and ensure I mostly eat the good stuff..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)