• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

sad to see

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 2:08 PM
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this
Some breastfeeding mom's nurse in the bathroom. With my first son I would do that and now I can't imagine why. Bathrooms are disgusting germ filled places definitely not suited for babies. I do cover with a, blanket when in public but never ever again will I hide in a bathroom to feed my child. You wouldn't eat in a bathroom why should your baby? Blec
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ducks4Life
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 2:14 PM

Yep. 

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 2:16 PM
I never fed in a bathroom. I rarely covered, either, since nothing was showing. I practiced at home a few times to get the process down for unhooking the bra flap and latching the baby.on.
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 2:35 PM
I've never nursed in the bathroom. I rarely use a cover.
Vikingmum
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 2:53 PM
Never fed in a bathroom or used a cover, but I'm fortunate in that I moved to Norway when I was pregnant with the little Viking and here breastfeeding is the normal way to feed a baby so no one bats an eyelid.. Worse place I've nursed was a feeding/changing room when I was in the UK, stank of sh*t as the nappy bin obviously had been left a long time.. Should have just found a quiet spot in the cafe but UK can be less bf friendly and I felt uncharacteristically self conscious.. Never again, I felt sordid ☹
ily.njn-rps
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 3:09 PM
I totally get that. I was 19 when I had my oldest and I think that's why I was so self conscious about it but now I'm like fuck what people think or say. If anyone said something to me they would get a chewing out. So I understand how hard it can be

Quoting Vikingmum: Never fed in a bathroom or used a cover, but I'm fortunate in that I moved to Norway when I was pregnant with the little Viking and here breastfeeding is the normal way to feed a baby so no one bats an eyelid.. Worse place I've nursed was a feeding/changing room when I was in the UK, stank of sh*t as the nappy bin obviously had been left a long time.. Should have just found a quiet spot in the cafe but UK can be less bf friendly and I felt uncharacteristically self conscious.. Never again, I felt sordid ☹
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jan. 6, 2015 at 3:18 PM
I was in London some 14 years ago and asked the attendant at the Herrod's baby room abut nursing in public. She told she had once seen a woman in the NY subway terminal *gasp* nursing under a blanket but it was quite frowned upon in England. Up until that conversation I'd thought all of Europe was cool about nursing in public. And France has among the lowest breastfeeding rates in industrialized nations. Speaking of France, I needed to change my baby in the stupid mall baby room and we knocked and knocked and couldn't get in. After finding a mall manager with the key, it was found that there were 2 teenagers having sex in there. Yeah, like I was going in there after that. :-p. I think I just gave up and nursed quietly in my sling.

Quoting Vikingmum: Never fed in a bathroom or used a cover, but I'm fortunate in that I moved to Norway when I was pregnant with the little Viking and here breastfeeding is the normal way to feed a baby so no one bats an eyelid.. Worse place I've nursed was a feeding/changing room when I was in the UK, stank of sh*t as the nappy bin obviously had been left a long time.. Should have just found a quiet spot in the cafe but UK can be less bf friendly and I felt uncharacteristically self conscious.. Never again, I felt sordid ☹
ily.njn-rps
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 3:23 PM
It's becoming more normalized in the US but I live in the back woods where everyone thinks it's still like the 40s so you can get a nasty look now and then but I don't even look around to see what other people think because I'm doing what I have to do to feed my child. I would be embarrassed yet amused by the nursing room teenagers having sex but am with you on not wanting to go in there to change my baby how rude

Quoting mostlymaydays: I was in London some 14 years ago and asked the attendant at the Herrod's baby room abut nursing in public. She told she had once seen a woman in the NY subway terminal *gasp* nursing under a blanket but it was quite frowned upon in England. Up until that conversation I'd thought all of Europe was cool about nursing in public. And France has among the lowest breastfeeding rates in industrialized nations. Speaking of France, I needed to change my baby in the stupid mall baby room and we knocked and knocked and couldn't get in. After finding a mall manager with the key, it was found that there were 2 teenagers having sex in there. Yeah, like I was going in there after that. :-p. I think I just gave up and nursed quietly in my sling.

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jan. 6, 2015 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think I live in a very bf friendly place. I can count on one hand how many times I've seen a mom nip(nurse in public), and I'm over 40. :-/ My own FIL says if women can nip than he should be able to "whip it out and pissed in public". Don't even get me started on that. He's so ignorant and sense in so many areas it's not funny. I don't know how his son (my dh) turned out ok. My dh is more cool about nip than I am and my kids don't care either.

Quoting ily.njn-rps: It's becoming more normalized in the US but I live in the back woods where everyone thinks it's still like the 40s so you can get a nasty look now and then but I don't even look around to see what other people think because I'm doing what I have to do to feed my child. I would be embarrassed yet amused by the nursing room teenagers having sex but am with you on not wanting to go in there to change my baby how rude

Quoting mostlymaydays: I was in London some 14 years ago and asked the attendant at the Herrod's baby room abut nursing in public. She told she had once seen a woman in the NY subway terminal *gasp* nursing under a blanket but it was quite frowned upon in England. Up until that conversation I'd thought all of Europe was cool about nursing in public. And France has among the lowest breastfeeding rates in industrialized nations. Speaking of France, I needed to change my baby in the stupid mall baby room and we knocked and knocked and couldn't get in. After finding a mall manager with the key, it was found that there were 2 teenagers having sex in there. Yeah, like I was going in there after that. :-p. I think I just gave up and nursed quietly in my sling.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Jan. 6, 2015 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this
This! Although I have BFed in the bathroom in my sling and bobs a few times when my boys were already latched and I really had to go (over share, lol) but they were all snug in and not exposed to the nasties, lol.

Quoting MusherMaggie: I never fed in a bathroom. I rarely covered, either, since nothing was showing. I practiced at home a few times to get the process down for unhooking the bra flap and latching the baby.on.
Vikingmum
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I should probably point out that no one in the UK was unfriendly or unsupportive if my breastfeeding in the 2 weeks I was there. I think it was more of an internalised perception from having rarely seen breastfeeding in public in the 36 years I lived there as opposed to the many mothers I have seen nursing here in the last 20 months or so since I got together with the Viking (this may be partly that I was more drawn to notice them as we talked about children from the very start, but doesn't explain why i didn't find the same in the UK in the 9 months we were long distance). Plus, having read news reports of mothers being asked to leave cafés etc in the UK for bf which I can't imagine happening here in Norway. The difference seems to be party that here it is so normal that no one even really thinks of it and partly that anyone who does feel awkward knows that it is their issue not the mother's so it is their responsibly to move /look away not the mother's to hide away..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)