• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to breastfeeding

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 4:44 PM
  • 23 Replies
Hi I'm bria. My first son is 5 weeks old and I decided to start breastfeeding since my milk started coming in a few days ago. I need all the tips I can get. Lol
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 4:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 4:53 PM
Do you mean five weeks or five days old? Has he been formula fed until now? Put him on the breast, let him stay until he comes off on his own. Burp and offer the other side. Repeat until he won't take any more. Nurse as often and as long as he wants. Do not time feedings or the intervals in between. Watch diaper count. By the time a baby is a week old, he should go through 6-8 diapers every 24 hours with at least two quarter sized poops. Anything bigger than a quarter or extra wet counts as two diapers.

If you have been using mostly formula, you will have to reduce it gradually and you will have the best luck using an SNS (Supplemental Nursing System) so he can receive it while he nurses. See "Getting Baby Back to Breast" on Kellymom.com.
MaryJarrett
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:04 PM
You waited 5 weeks to start?

You're going to want to do as much skin to skin and nursing around the clock as humanly possible. Usually it's best to start breastfeeding asap, preferably within an hour of birth because colostrum is spectacular for the new baby's immune system and more. It's never too late to start, though it is going to be a bit more challenging now.
bria2014
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:13 PM
Sorry for the confusion he's 5 weeks old but my milk supply started coming in a few days ago. He has been formula fed since birth.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Do you mean five weeks or five days old? Has he been formula fed until now? Put him on the breast, let him stay until he comes off on his own. Burp and offer the other side. Repeat until he won't take any more. Nurse as often and as long as he wants. Do not time feedings or the intervals in between. Watch diaper count. By the time a baby is a week old, he should go through 6-8 diapers every 24 hours with at least two quarter sized poops. Anything bigger than a quarter or extra wet counts as two diapers.

If you have been using mostly formula, you will have to reduce it gradually and you will have the best luck using an SNS (Supplemental Nursing System) so he can receive it while he nurses. See "Getting Baby Back to Breast" on Kellymom.com.
bria2014
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:16 PM
My milk supply didn't come in right away and had a d&c done a couple of days after he was born. I was in a lot of pain and didn't work on breastfeeding him until now.

Quoting MaryJarrett: You waited 5 weeks to start?

You're going to want to do as much skin to skin and nursing around the clock as humanly possible. Usually it's best to start breastfeeding asap, preferably within an hour of birth because colostrum is spectacular for the new baby's immune system and more. It's never too late to start, though it is going to be a bit more challenging now.
MaryJarrett
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:29 PM

Ah, gotcha! Did you have placenta peices left over and that was the cause of the D&C?
I ask because the release of the placenta is what triggers milk reflex, so that would explain why your milk took longer coming in. You'd still have colostrum, though, from pregnancy.

It's ok to start this late, but it will take a lot of work on your part to wean him off the bottle onto the breast. Here is a good place to start. You can do this! I commend you for trying! You ROCK!  

Quoting bria2014: My milk supply didn't come in right away and had a d&c done a couple of days after he was born. I was in a lot of pain and didn't work on breastfeeding him until now.
Quoting MaryJarrett: You waited 5 weeks to start? You're going to want to do as much skin to skin and nursing around the clock as humanly possible. Usually it's best to start breastfeeding asap, preferably within an hour of birth because colostrum is spectacular for the new baby's immune system and more. It's never too late to start, though it is going to be a bit more challenging now.

I'm Mary married(since 2008) to Dallen, mommy to Serenity(2008), Caidence(2010), Wrex(2013). Christian, SAHM/Homeschooler, Full- term breast feeding, Cloth diapering, Delayed/Selective Vaccinating, Anti-CIO/Sleep-training, UP/UC, holistic loving, AP, ERF & EH, Bedsharing/co-sleepingresearch-loving kinda mama.

bria2014
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:52 PM
I had a few pieces of placenta left and thick uterine lining. So, they took out the left over placenta and took out some of the lining.

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Ah, gotcha! Did you have placenta peices left over and that was the cause of the D&C? I ask because the release of the placenta is what triggers milk reflex, so that would explain why your milk took longer coming in. You'd still have colostrum, though, from pregnancy.

It's ok to start this late, but it will take a lot of work on your part to wean him off the bottle onto the breast. Here is a good place to start. You can do this! I commend you for trying! You ROCK!  

Quoting bria2014: My milk supply didn't come in right away and had a d&c done a couple of days after he was born. I was in a lot of pain and didn't work on breastfeeding him until now.
Quoting MaryJarrett: You waited 5 weeks to start? You're going to want to do as much skin to skin and nursing around the clock as humanly possible. Usually it's best to start breastfeeding asap, preferably within an hour of birth because colostrum is spectacular for the new baby's immune system and more. It's never too late to start, though it is going to be a bit more challenging now.

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Ah, that explains things! Yes, lots of skin-to-skin, let him nuzzle at the nipple. You can give him some formula or expressed milk by dropper or syringe, then offer the breast. It can be done!.
StaciF
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 6:43 PM
These ladies are fantastic so try everything they say!! I wouldn't be able to EBF my twins without them!! And good for you for wanting to try now!! Any breastmilk is better than none!!
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:41 PM
Everything that Maggie and Mary said!!!^^^
Try massage and compressions to get the milk flowing a bit more for him since he's used to the faster, easier bottles.
sophiasmommy27
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this
All of this.
:)

Quoting MusherMaggie: Do you mean five weeks or five days old? Has he been formula fed until now? Put him on the breast, let him stay until he comes off on his own. Burp and offer the other side. Repeat until he won't take any more. Nurse as often and as long as he wants. Do not time feedings or the intervals in between. Watch diaper count. By the time a baby is a week old, he should go through 6-8 diapers every 24 hours with at least two quarter sized poops. Anything bigger than a quarter or extra wet counts as two diapers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)