Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Production

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:22 AM
  • 6 Replies

I know I'm beating a dead horse here.  I'm sorry.

I was told again that full supply for pumping is 25-35 ounces a day and should be reached in 2-3 weeks (we are at 4.5 now).  I get 2-2.5 ( per session which is only 16-20 oz.  My daughter only takes 42 mLs (just under 1.5 oz) every 3 hours so I am out producing her. 

Do I need to try to increase my output or just keep doing what I'm doing? 

My friend gave me half a bottle of fenugreek, brewer's yeast and flaxseed powder.  Should I make cookies or something?  Recipes?

Or am I just overthinking this and being paranoid because it was so rough with my son when I was constantly told that his failure to gain weight was due to my low supply from breast reduction surgery (rather than a later diagnosed tongue tie)?

PS--Marshmallow loves the breast and has not had brady's the last couple times!  She also finally took the bottle and takes about one ounce orally (and the rest through her NG tube).  Such an improvement over last week. 

by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:33 PM

If I'm doing the math correctly, you're doing about ten sessions per day? I'd probably add two sessions to that count. You may be outproducing her now, but it's still early days and it's very typical for output to drop once the initial oversupply goes away. 

We have recipes for the cookies on the reosurces forum, I believe.

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 4:38 PM
If you're pumping enough to satisfy what they want to give her in the NICU now, I wouldn't stress over it. Just add a couple of sessions if you can. I concur with what Gina said above. Your Marshmallow seems to be gaining more ground!
LittleRed80
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:12 PM
I wouldn't stress it as long as you're still out producing her demand. What Gina says is true, but I'm thinking it wouldn't be a sudden jump. You would have time to adjust. I said before that I had terrible oversupply and it wreaked havoc on my baby's stomach and made it hard for him to nurse. Just as long as you don't skip pumping sessions.
I tried fenugreek in tea and it made the baby's tummy hurt. It made me smell awful, too.

Sounds like she's a little champ! Is Bug feeling better?
LoveMyBug2013
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2015 at 9:48 AM

I'm doing 8 a day and she gets 8 feeds.  I do 3 hours during the day and 2 4 hour stretches at night.

Quoting gdiamante:

If I'm doing the math correctly, you're doing about ten sessions per day? I'd probably add two sessions to that count. You may be outproducing her now, but it's still early days and it's very typical for output to drop once the initial oversupply goes away. 

We have recipes for the cookies on the reosurces forum, I believe.

LoveMyBug2013
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2015 at 9:52 AM

Marshmallow is a superhero :) She is now on 24 hours of all oral feeds.  I think they said that starts the "going home" clock which may be as few as 48 hours. 

The nebulizer is helping a lot for Bug.  I didn't hear any major coughing fits overnight.  His attitude is still way off though and he's just going through a lot.

I guess people who do not pump do not actually see what they are producing.  Hopefully Marshmallow will be home soon and then she can figure out what she wants and how much she needs me to make with a couple extra pumping sessions a day.

How are you doing? 

Quoting LittleRed80: I wouldn't stress it as long as you're still out producing her demand. What Gina says is true, but I'm thinking it wouldn't be a sudden jump. You would have time to adjust. I said before that I had terrible oversupply and it wreaked havoc on my baby's stomach and made it hard for him to nurse. Just as long as you don't skip pumping sessions. I tried fenugreek in tea and it made the baby's tummy hurt. It made me smell awful, too. Sounds like she's a little champ! Is Bug feeling better?

LittleRed80
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2015 at 11:54 AM

I'm so excited for her to be home! I'm glad Bug is doing better. It's going to take some time for him to adjust, but that's to be expected with any new sibling. 2/3 of my kids have asthma and the nebulizer was a regular thing in our house. It seems to be getting controlled much better now, and Kendel (my ds that was born at 31 weeks) is now off of his preventative inhaler and is doing much better. I'm still pregnant!. Over it, but as always so thankful to be at term now! I will be 38 weeks on Monday. 

Quoting LoveMyBug2013:

Marshmallow is a superhero :) She is now on 24 hours of all oral feeds.  I think they said that starts the "going home" clock which may be as few as 48 hours. 

The nebulizer is helping a lot for Bug.  I didn't hear any major coughing fits overnight.  His attitude is still way off though and he's just going through a lot.

I guess people who do not pump do not actually see what they are producing.  Hopefully Marshmallow will be home soon and then she can figure out what she wants and how much she needs me to make with a couple extra pumping sessions a day.

How are you doing? 

Quoting LittleRed80: I wouldn't stress it as long as you're still out producing her demand. What Gina says is true, but I'm thinking it wouldn't be a sudden jump. You would have time to adjust. I said before that I had terrible oversupply and it wreaked havoc on my baby's stomach and made it hard for him to nurse. Just as long as you don't skip pumping sessions. I tried fenugreek in tea and it made the baby's tummy hurt. It made me smell awful, too. Sounds like she's a little champ! Is Bug feeling better?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)