Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do? * update

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:46 PM
  • 9 Replies
I am having an MRI tomorrow and they are putting on contrast into my wrist called Multihance, everything I read says I do not have to stop (even the local lactation consultant says I do not have to stop), but radiology is saying to pump and dump for 24 hours. What would you do? She is 7 months old, around 22lbs. And eats about every 4 hours. I am thinking about skipping one feeding them resuming the next feeding since that would be about 8 hours.

UPDATE: So I ended up not doing the contrast injection because they found out I planned on breastfeeding and not pumping and dumping and they would not do the contrast unless I signed something saying I would follow their recommendations (pump and dump for 24 hours). BTW I tried to give my DD a bottle and she actual took it. So I see the doctor Monday and we will see if I really need to do the contrast part of the MRI.
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
hmhiggins87
by Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I had to get an mri done when mu baby was 2 weeks old. The radiologist said i needed to pump and dump 24 hours due to the dye. I opted out of having the dye injection portion and just had her take the images without. She said as long as neurologist can read them thats fine. She said if he cant get a good reading then They would have to do the last set again with the dye. They had no problems reading mine without it.
lost2013
by Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:53 PM
They are doing an MRortho so they do scans with the dye and without the dye.

Quoting hmhiggins87: I had to get an mri done when mu baby was 2 weeks old. The radiologist said i needed to pump and dump 24 hours due to the dye. I opted out of having the dye injection portion and just had her take the images without. She said as long as neurologist can read them thats fine. She said if he cant get a good reading then They would have to do the last set again with the dye. They had no problems reading mine without it.
YzmaRocks
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:08 PM
I have had an MRI with contrast and did not pump and dump. I did have to pump for a little bit but I was also hours away from baby. She was three months old when I had it done. Call Dr. Hale's Infant Risk Hotline if you want to be sure :)
polkaspots
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:22 PM
I would go back to nursing as usual when I got home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:45 PM
You do NOT need to pump and dump. Multihance is an L3 and there's no reason you can't nurse as soon as you want.
audmom1218
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 7:12 PM

I would look up the med on lactmed (or ask in here), get this response, and nurse away :)

Quoting stepconfused182: You do NOT need to pump and dump. Multihance is an L3 and there's no reason you can't nurse as soon as you want.

JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Jan. 15, 2015 at 12:17 PM

I would nurse and would not pump and dump.

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2015 at 1:47 PM
Stepconfused is an MD & IBCLC. She knows her stuff!
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Jan. 15, 2015 at 3:49 PM
This!

Quoting stepconfused182: You do NOT need to pump and dump. Multihance is an L3 and there's no reason you can't nurse as soon as you want.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)