Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MRI with contrast : gadolinium

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:04 PM
  • 11 Replies
The tech told me 48 hours before nursing!
Does anyone know this is accurate?
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hmhiggins87
by Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:08 PM
You could ask if they can do it without the dye.
Here is what i posted on another post a minute ago about mri

I had to get an mri done when mu baby was 2 weeks old. The radiologist said i needed to pump and dump 24 hours due to the dye. I opted out of having the dye injection portion and just had her take the images without. She said as long as neurologist can read them thats fine. She said if he cant get a good reading then They would have to do the last set again with the dye. They had no problems reading mine without it.
cemcnair
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:28 PM
This was the follow up with dye. I've already had it.
But thank you!

Quoting hmhiggins87: You could ask if they can do it without the dye.
Here is what i posted on another post a minute ago about mri

I had to get an mri done when mu baby was 2 weeks old. The radiologist said i needed to pump and dump 24 hours due to the dye. I opted out of having the dye injection portion and just had her take the images without. She said as long as neurologist can read them thats fine. She said if he cant get a good reading then They would have to do the last set again with the dye. They had no problems reading mine without it.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:40 PM
She's wrong. It's an L2. Nurse as soon as you please.
cemcnair
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 7:02 PM
Thank you, Kelley. I couldn't find it in lactmed.

Quoting stepconfused182: She's wrong. It's an L2. Nurse as soon as you please.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jan. 14, 2015 at 7:36 PM
No problem. I'm not a fan of lactmed. If I don't have Dr hales book handy, I use the infant risk app.

Quoting cemcnair: Thank you, Kelley. I couldn't find it in lactmed.

cemcnair
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 8:08 PM
I'll have to add that one! Thank you :)

Quoting stepconfused182: No problem. I'm not a fan of lactmed. If I don't have Dr hales book handy, I use the infant risk app.

Quoting cemcnair: Thank you, Kelley. I couldn't find it in lactmed.

Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2015 at 1:15 AM

I had an MRI while breastfeeding & on the info I had to sign it said the newer contrast is safe for breastfeeding. I don't know what the contrast is called though.

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jan. 15, 2015 at 7:53 AM

Mobile Photo

This is from Hale's Infant Risk mommymeds app. Yep, an L2. :-)
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jan. 15, 2015 at 7:57 AM
Kellymom. http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/illness-surgery/radioisotopes/ :

More on contrast dyes:

From: Sachs HC; Committee On Drugs. The transfer of drugs and therapeutics into human breast milk: an update on selected topics. Pediatrics. 2013 Sep;132(3):e796-809. doi: 10.1542/peds.2013-1985. Epub 2013 Aug 26.

“Traditionally, lactating women receiving intravascular gadolinium or iodinated contrast (as opposed to radiolabeled iodine) are advised to discontinue nursing for 24 hours. However, a minimal amount (0.04%) of the intravenous dose reaches human milk, and, of that, less than 1% to 2% is absorbed by the infant. Therefore, breastfeeding can be continued without interruption after the use of iodinated contrast or gadolinium.”

From: ACR Committee on Drugs and Contrast Media. ACR Manual on Contrast Media, Version 9. American College of Radiology, 2013: 97-98.

“Because of the very small percentage of iodinated contrast medium that is excreted into the breast milk and absorbed by the infant’s gut, we believe that the available data suggest that it is safe for the mother and infant to continue breast-feeding after receiving such an agent.”

“Because of the very small percentage of gadolinium-based contrast medium that is excreted into the breast milk and absorbed by the infant’s gut, we believe that the available data suggest that it is safe for the mother and infant to continue breast-feeding after receiving such an agent.”
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jan. 15, 2015 at 9:27 AM

I love lactmed but always good to check kellymom and dr hales

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)