Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Opinion on clipping ties *small update*

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:48 PM
  • 20 Replies
1 mom liked this
*update*
I've emailed pictures of both boys to one of the recommended doctors - he does online consults which is fantastic. I'm expecting him to say make an appointment both boys need revisions - but I'll let you know what he officially says. Thanks for your help!

Just from reading all of the links that are posted on the ties resource post I'm confident both of the boys have upper lip ties and I think Luke most likely has a posterior tongue-tie. That being said - both of them have improved their latching based on some techniques I've been trying and both are successful in gaining weight. I am not having any issues with discomfort either. What are your thoughts on clipping versus not clipping if we do not seem to have any direct issues at the time from the ties? It looks like there are doctors about two hours north and south of us on the preferred provider list.
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jan. 14, 2015 at 7:40 PM
Dr. Ghaheri's question regarding the lip tie would be, is it affecting you, the baby and/or breastfeeding? If not, enjoy your breastfeeding relationship. THAT SAID, lip ties are a mid line defect that more than 90% of the time are accompanied with tongue ties. The tricky thing with tongue ties is that your baby might be gaining weight fine when your supply is over abundant and they are DRINKING but once your supply regulates and they need that functioning tongue to SUCK the start to have weight gain problems as they burn calories faster trying to withdraw milk. Does the lip tie keep the lip from flanging out? My dd has a "ginormous lip tie" per Dr. Ghaheri but it amazingly is not restricting the movement and function of her lip. A tight tie can keep the mouth from opening up wide enough. Lip ties are also notorious for leading to tooth decay. I guess I'd say if you have any question, take the babies to one of those providers. Where are you? Your lucky to have several choices within 2 hr drive! Those über doctors will NOT clip ties that don't need to be clipped. Seeing one of those doctors can only be a good thing; they'll either revise or tell you all is well. Of course that only applies for those drs on the list and doctors the are training. Most drs are clueless on this subject.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jan. 14, 2015 at 7:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Fyi I was referring to Dr. Ghaheri www.drghaheri.com. I met him when I attended a seminar on tongue ties and their affect on breastfeeding. His website is full of helpful articles and downloads. He poked and prodded in my dd's mouth for several minutes, con formed the lip tie and confidently, and with shock, said she does NOT have a tongue tie.
StaciF
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 8:01 PM
I am in Orlando so I can drive to either Tampa or to Gainesville which are both about two hours away. Both boys are able to flange their lips out half of the time. If not I use some of the techniques to help them when they latch on. I count myself fortunate that I have had zero nipple pain even from day one with both boys. They nurse around-the-clock usually every two hours during the day and anywhere from 2 to 4 at night. I don't feel like I've ever had an excess of milk. I had such issues in the beginning with my milk being so slow to come in and having to work so hard to get my supply up sufficient for both of them. When would my milk regulate that I should be watching for issues? The boys were nine weeks on Monday. In retrospect I'm positive my daughter had at least a lip tie if not a lip and tongue-tie and that lead to our breast-feeding demise it's 7 1/2 months on top of me working. I also know my last son had a lip tie but I did not discover it or even become aware of what lip ties were until he had his two top teeth that left indentions when he nursed. Now to find the time to call and look into it!!!

Quoting mostlymaydays: Dr. Ghaheri's question regarding the lip tie would be, is it affecting you, the baby and/or breastfeeding? If not, enjoy your breastfeeding relationship. THAT SAID, lip ties are a mid line defect that more than 90% of the time are accompanied with tongue ties. The tricky thing with tongue ties is that your baby might be gaining weight fine when your supply is over abundant and they are DRINKING but once your supply regulates and they need that functioning tongue to SUCK the start to have weight gain problems as they burn calories faster trying to withdraw milk. Does the lip tie keep the lip from flanging out? My dd has a "ginormous lip tie" per Dr. Ghaheri but it amazingly is not restricting the movement and function of her lip. A tight tie can keep the mouth from opening up wide enough. Lip ties are also notorious for leading to tooth decay. I guess I'd say if you have any question, take the babies to one of those providers. Where are you? Your lucky to have several choices within 2 hr drive! Those über doctors will NOT clip ties that don't need to be clipped. Seeing one of those doctors can only be a good thing; they'll either revise or tell you all is well. Of course that only applies for those drs on the list and doctors the are training. Most drs are clueless on this subject.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jan. 14, 2015 at 8:13 PM
3 moms liked this
Personally, I would never leave a lip or tongue tie unrevised on my children. There are way too many issues they cause all the way through to adulthood and I'm pretty big on prevention vs treatment.
StaciF
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:07 PM
So from the tongue tie website listed on the resource feed - I ended up on the lowmilksupply.org sight that has doctors listed who clip ties. What's the difference in those docs vs the ones on our Google doc? A lot of them are on both the website and our recommended list. But there is one 10 minutes from my house on the low milk website

Quoting mostlymaydays: Fyi I was referring to Dr. Ghaheri www.drghaheri.com. I met him when I attended a seminar on tongue ties and their affect on breastfeeding. His website is full of helpful articles and downloads. He poked and prodded in my dd's mouth for several minutes, con formed the lip tie and confidently, and with shock, said she does NOT have a tongue tie.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:08 PM
The slowing weight is tricky because that can happen when there *aren't* ties. I think its somewhere between 4 and 6 months when supply isn't as driven by hormones and becomes very dependent on driving demand. It's not that you dont make "enough" but rather you make exactly what's been demanded, often mistaken as a "drop in supply". My babies gain twice as fast the first 6 months as the second 6 months, slowing down as my supply regulates *and* as they get mobile. At the very least, I'd recommend getting it properly assessed.

Quoting StaciF: I am in Orlando so I can drive to either Tampa or to Gainesville which are both about two hours away. Both boys are able to flange their lips out half of the time. If not I use some of the techniques to help them when they latch on. I count myself fortunate that I have had zero nipple pain even from day one with both boys. They nurse around-the-clock usually every two hours during the day and anywhere from 2 to 4 at night. I don't feel like I've ever had an excess of milk. I had such issues in the beginning with my milk being so slow to come in and having to work so hard to get my supply up sufficient for both of them. When would my milk regulate that I should be watching for issues? The boys were nine weeks on Monday. In retrospect I'm positive my daughter had at least a lip tie if not a lip and tongue-tie and that lead to our breast-feeding demise it's 7 1/2 months on top of me working. I also know my last son had a lip tie but I did not discover it or even become aware of what lip ties were until he had his two top teeth that left indentions when he nursed. Now to find the time to call and look into it!!!

Quoting mostlymaydays: Dr. Ghaheri's question regarding the lip tie would be, is it affecting you, the baby and/or breastfeeding? If not, enjoy your breastfeeding relationship. THAT SAID, lip ties are a mid line defect that more than 90% of the time are accompanied with tongue ties. The tricky thing with tongue ties is that your baby might be gaining weight fine when your supply is over abundant and they are DRINKING but once your supply regulates and they need that functioning tongue to SUCK the start to have weight gain problems as they burn calories faster trying to withdraw milk. Does the lip tie keep the lip from flanging out? My dd has a "ginormous lip tie" per Dr. Ghaheri but it amazingly is not restricting the movement and function of her lip. A tight tie can keep the mouth from opening up wide enough. Lip ties are also notorious for leading to tooth decay. I guess I'd say if you have any question, take the babies to one of those providers. Where are you? Your lucky to have several choices within 2 hr drive! Those über doctors will NOT clip ties that don't need to be clipped. Seeing one of those doctors can only be a good thing; they'll either revise or tell you all is well. Of course that only applies for those drs on the list and doctors the are training. Most drs are clueless on this subject.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm not familiar with the low supply drs you're mentioning. But I can tell you that the ones on the document we reference are ctitically "vetted", so to speak, and are respected as authorities in diagnosing and revising tongue and lip ties. These are the drs that are training other doctors to manage ties. Look at www.kiddsteeth.Com as well; this is Dr. Kotlow's practice. There's a tab specifically for "breastfeeding health", lots of info and videos. Dr. Kotlow is probably the most highly respected authority of tongue ties.

Quoting StaciF: So from the tongue tie website listed on the resource feed - I ended up on the lowmilksupply.org sight that has doctors listed who clip ties. What's the difference in those docs vs the ones on our Google doc? A lot of them are on both the website and our recommended list. But there is one 10 minutes from my house on the low milk website

Quoting mostlymaydays: Fyi I was referring to Dr. Ghaheri www.drghaheri.com. I met him when I attended a seminar on tongue ties and their affect on breastfeeding. His website is full of helpful articles and downloads. He poked and prodded in my dd's mouth for several minutes, con formed the lip tie and confidently, and with shock, said she does NOT have a tongue tie.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this
The first dr listed in Florida is at university of Florida. That'd be the first one I'd call if I were you, unless either of those other two are closer. I wasn't familiar with those cities. Orlando and Tampa I know ;-)

Quoting StaciF: So from the tongue tie website listed on the resource feed - I ended up on the lowmilksupply.org sight that has doctors listed who clip ties. What's the difference in those docs vs the ones on our Google doc? A lot of them are on both the website and our recommended list. But there is one 10 minutes from my house on the low milk website

StaciF
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:23 PM
I went to college and got my nursing degree from UF so I'm partial to them anyway :)

Quoting mostlymaydays: The first dr listed in Florida is at university of Florida. That'd be the first one I'd call if I were you, unless either of those other two are closer. I wasn't familiar with those cities. Orlando and Tampa I know ;-)

PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:54 PM
I agree, I'd really have them clipped even if they're gaining well for now. If you had supply issues in the beginning when it's so easy to manipulate supply, your history with DD doesn't bode well for this relationship either. Plus there's always the possibility of issues with solids, speech, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)