Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

GV not working? (Bad thrush)

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 9:30 AM
  • 28 Replies

I have a bad case of thrush. It popped up right as DD was using antibiotics for her ear infection. I had it before with my oldest but never this bad. It is worse on my right side but basically my entire areola/nipple is covered in sores/cracks. I got the gentian violet last week so it's been over a week using it and before I got it I was using antifungal creams. I have boiled all DDs passies and toys, washed my clothes and used vinegar on me as well (OMG did that burn!). The sores were oozing basically all weekend and stuck to anything I put against them. They would slightly scab over then DD would nurse and back open they went, same with pumping and sometimes they bled.

I have ready everything on thrush, Kellymom, Dr. Sears and I know it can get worse before getting better but it also states not to use GV too long. Should I keep using it? Any other ideas, the pain is driving me crazy!

Also baby is 100% fine, Dr. checked her Friday. She is 6 months.

by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:06 AM
You need to treat your dd with the gv as as well. Whether or not she is showing symptoms, she's passing it back to you. Ask your pharmacist for APNO (All Purpose Nipple Ointment) in case there is a bacterial component. Coconut oil can be helpful as well.
MaryJarrett
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:12 AM
Along with what Maggie said, I would add in probiotics for both of you and cut sugar and "white" carbs from your diet. You can use the probiotics directly on your nipples as well as orally.
Careeka22
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:13 AM

Oh sorry should have put she is getting treated too, she gets it when she nurses from me. I just wanted to say that so far she shows no symptoms just me. Ok I will ask my pharmacist about that and the oil. I'm sure it will go away on it's own I just didn't know if I should switch to something else or not.

Quoting MusherMaggie: You need to treat your dd with the gv as as well. Whether or not she is showing symptoms, she's passing it back to you. Ask your pharmacist for APNO (All Purpose Nipple Ointment) in case there is a bacterial component. Coconut oil can be helpful as well.

Careeka22
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:15 AM

I eat yogurt daily and already trying to cut sugars (trying to lose weight) DD is just now starting solids and so far not very interested. Can she have just regular greek yogurt? Thanks

Quoting MaryJarrett: Along with what Maggie said, I would add in probiotics for both of you and cut sugar and "white" carbs from your diet. You can use the probiotics directly on your nipples as well as orally.

MaryJarrett
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:22 AM
Be wary of most yogurts. Since most are no or low fat, they add in sugar to make it more palatable, which would feed yeast rather than killing since the sugars of store bought out number the good bacteria. If you make your own, you should be good to consume it, though I would still add in extras.

Yogurt is fine for 6m+.

Quoting Careeka22:

I eat yogurt daily and already trying to cut sugars (trying to lose weight) DD is just now starting solids and so far not very interested. Can she have just regular greek yogurt? Thanks

Quoting MaryJarrett: Along with what Maggie said, I would add in probiotics for both of you and cut sugar and "white" carbs from your diet. You can use the probiotics directly on your nipples as well as orally.

Careeka22
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:25 AM

Thanks, I would have no clue how to make my own. I work FT with a long commute so barely have time to make dinner let alone extras. I just eat the yoplait greek yogurts. I am sure they have too much sugar but that is about all I can do for now.

I will try her on some yogurt tonight and see what she thinks. Thanks again!

Quoting MaryJarrett: Be wary of most yogurts. Since most are no or low fat, they add in sugar to make it more palatable, which would feed yeast rather than killing since the sugars of store bought out number the good bacteria. If you make your own, you should be good to consume it, though I would still add in extras. Yogurt is fine for 6m+.
Quoting Careeka22:

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:41 AM
If she was prescribed Nystatin suspension, it won't work. It is full of sugar which feeds the yeast. Use the Kellymom.com remedies on her.
Careeka22
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:45 AM

Nope no presciption for her as she is fine (also getting the GV while nursing). It's just me and my torn up nipples. The pain is not in my breast or even at the nipple itself but from the sores and cuts. Not to mention she is in the distracted nursing stage so pops on and off over and over and pulls which makes it worse.

Quoting MusherMaggie: If she was prescribed Nystatin suspension, it won't work. It is full of sugar which feeds the yeast. Use the Kellymom.com remedies on her.

celestegood
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:50 AM
Can you call your doctor to get a prescription called in for you? My doctor called a prescription in for me for an oral anti yeast medicine, I can't remember the name. I took that, and my son took something prescribed by his doctor, and we were ok in a few days.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Careeka22
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 11:00 AM

I'll give it a few more days then do that if I have too. I don't have a regular Dr. just usually go to patient 1st and was trying to avoid paying the $35 copay plus prescription costs. Thanks

Quoting celestegood: Can you call your doctor to get a prescription called in for you? My doctor called a prescription in for me for an oral anti yeast medicine, I can't remember the name. I took that, and my son took something prescribed by his doctor, and we were ok in a few days.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)