Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tie?

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 2:25 PM
  • 16 Replies

Mobile Photo

She never lifts her tongue enough to get a pic under there. Anyway, this is a lip tie correct?
She is gaining fine and no regular pain but her latch is not deep, she doesn't open wide, top lip always flips in causing nipple to flip out frequently. She also spits up a TON but im not sure if a tie contributes to that.

I know of the preferred providers near me who revise but i dont have the money to pay out of pocket and the insurance we have (Molina) is not accepted most places :(
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 2:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Seximama23
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 2:40 PM
Yes looks like a tie. And the other symptoms indicate a tongue tie also
kajira
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

That looks like my son's upper lip and i'm trying to get it revised right now.

Your "new" fresh in milk supply will help weight gain, but once your supply regulates, if she can't empty the breast, weight gain CAN slow down and cause issues including early weaning.

I know it's a pain to try and find someone to clip it, but I would do it.

As soon as I realized my son had the tie and it wasn't a "preemie" baby issue like the hospital told us, I scheduled an apt and got him in to diagnose with in a couple days and will hopefully get it clipped with in the next week or so.

I guess the websites say if there's an upper lip tie, a tongue tie is common - I don't see my baby having a tongue tie, but if she can't lift her tongue that would indicate a bad tongue tie. Wyatt can at least wiggle his tongue side to side, stick it out and touch the roof of his mouth with his mouth open giving him the ability to at least latch well on the bottom side of his mouth.

I know it's hard to come up with the money to pay for a revision, but I think it will be worth it, the amount you'd spend on formula if she can't nurse and gain weight long-term would cost more then the revision would. (not to mention if you ended up pumping or bottle feeding, those supplies would probably cost more then a revision would too.) 

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jan. 20, 2015 at 3:43 PM
More than 9 of 10 babies with a lip tie also have a tongue tie. Many babies with ties skate through the early months without troubles because mom's oversupply let's baby compensate, but later baby has problems with latch and gain and teeth, sometimes speech and texture issues with solids. I'm hearing revisions are often not covered by insurance though many moms appeal until they get at least some reimbursement.
Brandrea
by Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 11:56 PM
How old is your baby? Mine is 4 months and her lip looks almost exactly like that. They checked for a tie early on but I think the lactation consultant missed it. She has had no issues with gains and her latch caused me a lot of pain in the beginning but it's fine now. Mine also spits up a TON!! I'm just so worried about the pain and traumatizing her with getting it clipped...

Quoting lovemytwo88:

Mobile Photo

She never lifts her tongue enough to get a pic under there. Anyway, this is a lip tie correct?
She is gaining fine and no regular pain but her latch is not deep, she doesn't open wide, top lip always flips in causing nipple to flip out frequently. She also spits up a TON but im not sure if a tie contributes to that.

I know of the preferred providers near me who revise but i dont have the money to pay out of pocket and the insurance we have (Molina) is not accepted most places :(
Brandrea
by Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 11:58 PM
Does excessive spitting up indicate a tie?

Quoting Seximama23: Yes looks like a tie. And the other symptoms indicate a tongue tie also
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Jan. 21, 2015 at 12:14 AM
Definitely! Also agree with the posts above.
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Jan. 21, 2015 at 12:23 AM
Yes, excessive spit-up can be an indication of ties.

Quoting Brandrea: Does excessive spitting up indicate a tie?

Quoting Seximama23: Yes looks like a tie. And the other symptoms indicate a tongue tie also
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2015 at 6:19 AM
There is actually very little pain with a tie revision. The sooner done, the better. Excessive spitting up can be a result of overactive letdown and oversupply, but if ties are present, that makes it worse.
lovemytwo88
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2015 at 9:33 AM
She is just over 2.5 months (11wks).
The LC at the hospital also told me she didn't have a tongue tie :(

I know part of my girl's spit up issue is OAL but i cant help but wonder if the tie contributes somehow

Quoting Brandrea: How old is your baby? Mine is 4 months and her lip looks almost exactly like that. They checked for a tie early on but I think the lactation consultant missed it. She has had no issues with gains and her latch caused me a lot of pain in the beginning but it's fine now. Mine also spits up a TON!! I'm just so worried about the pain and traumatizing her with getting it clipped...

Quoting lovemytwo88:

Mobile Photo

lovemytwo88
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2015 at 9:36 AM
I have never seen a baby spit up as much as her. Its usually 2-4x after every feed and sometimes she can spit up close to 2oz i would say. Its extreme. She is never in pain from it though.

Quoting MusherMaggie: There is actually very little pain with a tie revision. The sooner done, the better. Excessive spitting up can be a result of overactive letdown and oversupply, but if ties are present, that makes it worse.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)