Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is it ok

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 7:47 PM
  • 15 Replies

is it ok to brestfeed and formula feed at the same time

by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elizabethbarry
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 7:48 PM

BUMP!

audmom1218
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 7:53 PM

Just a heads up, posts are answered by mods in order from oldest to newest, so bumping your post is like hanging up the phone when you're on hold.  (puts you at hte end of the line.)

Of course there is no all (edit to add meant to say ALL OR NOTHING) with nursing and ANY is better than none.  That said, there usually should be some ground rules to prevent baby from developing a bottle preference and refusing the breast.  Some moms chose to nurse at home and formula feed while they work.  THeir supply forever adjusts, as long as baby isn't overfed formula while away.  What particular circumstances are you wondering about?  Perhaps with more information we can help. 

elizabethbarry
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 7:56 PM

i just wanted to know if it was ok to do it i have heard of ppl doing and just wanted to make sure it was ok to do i did not breastfeed my 1st little girl.

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jan. 31, 2015 at 7:59 PM
Yes, breastfeeding doesn't have to be an all or nothing deal. However you should know how formula will effect breastfeeding. Can I ask how old your baby is, what your doing now and why you have decided to do both formula and breastfeeding?
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this

It's best to breastfeed only. Do you think you're having supply problems? We can probably help you troubleshoot.

polkaspots
by on Feb. 1, 2015 at 5:02 AM
Yes, but there are rules. A routine is in you best interest. Giving two bottles of formula one day and then four the next is terrible for your supply. When do you want to use formula?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 8:52 AM
Read posts here and on Kellymom.com. Two books--"So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro and "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" from La Leche League. Go to LLLI.org and see if there is a group that meets near you. Also Google "Find an IBCLC" (Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant). This is your go-to breastfeeding professional. Most medical professionals know little or nothing about breastfeeding and give erroneous advice. Education is the key to successfull breastfeeding. Follow these measures and you will know more in a week about breastfeeding than most medical professionals.
jbyrd898
by Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 9:02 AM

Breastfeeding is better, but if for some reason it is neccessary to give formula the two wont interfere with eachother if that is what you are asking.

gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 1, 2015 at 1:47 PM

You CAN, but know that every bottle given deprives your body of the signal to make milk. Very often we see women who do the ix go to 100% formula before the three month mark.

elizabethbarry
by on Feb. 1, 2015 at 6:10 PM

i am still pregnat she will be here in march i did not brestfeed my 1st little girl. i just heard some ppl talking about it and thought of maybe doing it. i am not sure yet if i am going to do it or not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)