• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

over supply?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:24 PM
  • 11 Replies
Hello all! I'm new here (obviously) and could use some advice.

I'm a first time mom of a 2 week old baby boy. Ebfing.

My question is, what should I do about over supply? As of about 3 days ago my breasts have been producing a ton of milk. The left seems to make more than the right. It's so bad sometimes that baby will cough when eating, when he pulls off, there will be a literal stream of milk streaming out of my breast. His poop turned from yellow to green a few days ago as well (not sure if I should be worried?)

I'm wondering if I should pump when this happens since I'll be back at school in a few weeks full time (to avoid formula feeding), or should I just wait it out / let it happen?

Sorry if the question is a little complicated. I'm really just not sure what to do.
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
audmom1218
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:35 PM

I would wait a few weeks before pumping.  Right now I would just recline to nurse, and maybe hand express the initial letdown into a towel to help baby with the gasping.  Pumping will just encourage the oversupply.  I would wait until about a week before you go back, and pump first thing every morning before baby nurses.  This should get you enough for day one of back to school.  You only need 1 oz per hour of separation, so 8oz saved up if you will be away for 8 hours.  

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:39 PM
First, change your nursing position so his mouth is never under the breast/nipple. Reclining, side laying, and tummy to tummy in a carrier are all great alternatives that should help reduce the force of the flow of milk into his mouth. Hand express just enough for relief of the engorgement gets unbearable. Since you're going back to work, you will need to train your body to respond to the pump, so pumping first thing every morning would be beneficial. There is a method to control oversupply that includes pumping first thing in the morning, nursing on one side only until the second side gets uncomfortable, then switch to the second side until the first side gets uncomfortable, etc.
-EBAH
by New Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:40 PM
Thank you!

Quoting audmom1218:

I would wait a few weeks before pumping.  Right now I would just recline to nurse, and maybe hand express the initial letdown into a towel to help baby with the gasping.  Pumping will just encourage the oversupply.  I would wait until about a week before you go back, and pump first thing every morning before baby nurses.  This should get you enough for day one of back to school.  You only need 1 oz per hour of separation, so 8oz saved up if you will be away for 8 hours.  

-EBAH
by New Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:48 PM
Awesome! Thank you!

So it is OK to pump in the mornings? There is something very reassuring to me about having a milk reserve in the freezer, I just don't want to mess up my milk supply in any way!

Quoting aehanrahan: First, change your nursing position so his mouth is never under the breast/nipple. Reclining, side laying, and tummy to tummy in a carrier are all great alternatives that should help reduce the force of the flow of milk into his mouth. Hand express just enough for relief of the engorgement gets unbearable. Since you're going back to work, you will need to train your body to respond to the pump, so pumping first thing every morning would be beneficial. There is a method to control oversupply that includes pumping first thing in the morning, nursing on one side only until the second side gets uncomfortable, then switch to the second side until the first side gets uncomfortable, etc.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:56 PM
2 moms liked this
Since you're having issues with oversupply, I wouldn't pump at this time. I would do exactly what the first comment said. A week before you go back to work is plenty of time to pump what you need for your first day back.

Quoting -EBAH: Awesome! Thank you!

So it is OK to pump in the mornings? There is something very reassuring to me about having a milk reserve in the freezer, I just don't want to mess up my milk supply in any way!

Quoting aehanrahan: First, change your nursing position so his mouth is never under the breast/nipple. Reclining, side laying, and tummy to tummy in a carrier are all great alternatives that should help reduce the force of the flow of milk into his mouth. Hand express just enough for relief of the engorgement gets unbearable. Since you're going back to work, you will need to train your body to respond to the pump, so pumping first thing every morning would be beneficial. There is a method to control oversupply that includes pumping first thing in the morning, nursing on one side only until the second side gets uncomfortable, then switch to the second side until the first side gets uncomfortable, etc.
nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Pumping at all right now will prob make it worse. I had OAL and I nursed laying on my side for months. It def helps :)
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:02 PM
Here is the kellymom page on overactive letdown and oversupply.
http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:04 PM
2 moms liked this
Here is a link for the full drainage block feeding method that I mentioned above. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2075483/
LittleRed80
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 10:57 AM
I am going through the same thing right now with mine born on the 19th. I did pump once in the morning per the advice of my lactation consultant and some here because my baby has a tongue tie. The oversupply problem is way worse now. It's making nursing uncomfortable for baby. (I didn't do block feeding after pumping, though) I don't recommend pumping at this early stage.
I also think the full drainage block feeding method is meant for older nurslings. The information you were pointed to on Kellymom.com even says methods that reduce supply like this one should not be used before 4-6 weeks.
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Feb. 1, 2015 at 10:28 PM
This!

Quoting audmom1218:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)