Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weaning question

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:09 PM
  • 13 Replies
Ok I plan to breastfeed my child to at least 12 months she is currently 7 1/2 months. She gets a jar of fruit in the morning and a jar of veggies at night (I am not sure if I am under feeding her solids. I do give her puffs, yogurt bites, and these things called lil crunchies, I give her those two times a day of one of those finger foods). My question is she still gets up at night to nurse (4-5 hour stretches) during the day she nurses every 4 hours. With my first weaning was easy she was 16 months but she slept through the night when I stopped nursing her (she staring sleeping through the night starting at 4 months of age). If my child is still getting up at night when I am ready to wean (hoping around 12-14 months) should I just try to give her cows milk or water and see if that helps? I feel her getting up now is a routine because she gets up the same time every night 4am. I want to throw this out there I am not one who will let my child nurse until she doesn't want to anymore because I dont want to be nursing a toddler that is my own personal thing. I just see my nephew pulling down my nieces shirt in front of people to nurse (he is 16 months) or my SIL were her 14 month old brings her the boppy pillow to nurse and I don't want to be like that. My oldest DD weaned really well around 11 months some nights she didn't want to nurse but I have a feeling this child is going to be challenging. Hope this makes sense I am really sick with a cold and not getting much sleep.
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Feb. 1, 2015 at 12:52 AM
first off, remember that no two kid is the same. Some will easily sleep thriugh the night, have an easier time weaning etc. My 4 kids were all different. Some night weaned easier than others. My second child was the easiest to night wean and sleep thriugh the night. My 4 year old however still will not sleep at night. So, don't expect night weaning to fix the sleeping issues. Also, if you choose to night wean after 1 year, don't give juice, milk or food at night. It will cause cavities. Nursing at night shouldn't. When I decided to nightwean I tried to make it as easy as possible on myself, so I did give snacks....big mistake as it caused big time cavities after that.

Second, at 16 months, babies know how to get want they want, breastfeeding or not, so teaching them manners will help with unwanted behavoir, nursing manners is what we call it.
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Feb. 1, 2015 at 12:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Also, remember that before a year babies need to have breastmilk as their main source of nutrition, everything else is practice, so be sure that you nurse well before offering 'dessert' (Aka solids)
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 12:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Too many solids, and most of that is junk food. She should still be nursed on demand, and nearly all of her calories should still be from breastmilk. Offer pieces of real food only after a full nursing session. Self-winding is best. Weaning at a year is a formula thing.
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Feb. 1, 2015 at 1:18 AM
Yep, that too. Definitely read the ingredients. I always fed my kids real whole foods. fresh fruits and veggies. avocadoes, bananas, steamed carrots, pears are great to start with, and usually the just took some of what I was eating.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Too many solids, and most of that is junk food. She should still be nursed on demand, and nearly all of her calories should still be from breastmilk. Offer pieces of real food only after a full nursing session. Self-winding is best. Weaning at a year is a formula thing.
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Feb. 1, 2015 at 1:18 AM
She will likely not take weaning well at that age. Expect a fight, and expect to have to replace nursing with something overnight. For my youngest (who went on strike at 13 mo), I got up and made her a bottle of donor milk overnight until she stopped needing it. Between that, and the crying fits... That was an awful time for sleep. Likely the worst I've ever experienced.
polkaspots
by on Feb. 1, 2015 at 4:59 AM
1 mom liked this
You're discussing two separate things like they'd related. You're feeding her a lot of junk food. You can give her as Mich food as she wants as long as she nurses first. Then after her birthday you can feed her and let her nurse a few times a day on your schedule until you wean her.
Sleeping through the night is an entirely different thing. You don't want to start giving another milk since you won't be brushing her teeth afterwards. I'd suggest keeping the four am feeding for now and waiting to drop that until after her birthday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 1, 2015 at 8:31 AM
If you wean before 1 she needs formula.
gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 1, 2015 at 1:42 PM

Quoting lost2013: Ok I plan to breastfeed my child to at least 12 months she is currently 7 1/2 months. She gets a jar of fruit in the morning and a jar of veggies at night (I am not sure if I am under feeding her solids. I do give her puffs, yogurt bites, and these things called lil crunchies, I give her those two times a day of one of those finger foods).
No such thing as underfeeding solids, because they're not necessary for nutrition. I would get her off the jars, stat, though. They're mostly water. Go for something like slices of banana instead and let her self-feed.
Baby could be getting nothing but breastmilk and the nutrition is still perfect. Solids are an extra and are not at all mandatory in year one.
y she nurses every 4 hours. With my first weaning was easy she was 16 months but she slept through the night when I stopped nursing her (she staring sleeping through the night starting at 4 months of age). If my child is still getting up at night when I am ready to wean (hoping around 12-14 months) should I just try to give her cows milk or water and see if that helps?
Whatever you wish. I personally wouldn't bother doing anything and let her decrease the nursings on her own. No thought required. You can do "don't offer don't refuse" which is exactly what it says. You don't offer to nurse, nor do you refuse her requests to do so. EDITED TO ADD: If you're going to give her something else at night, water only. THe poster who pointed out the cavity risk is correct.
I feel her getting up now is a routine because she gets up the same time every night 4am. I want to throw this out there I am not one who will let my child nurse until she doesn't want to anymore because I dont want to be nursing a toddler that is my own personal thing. I just see my nephew pulling down my nieces shirt in front of people to nurse (he is 16 months)
That baby should be taught nursing manners. There's nothing so magical about nursing that you let anything and everything go. A lot of women seem to think that I think it's one of the problems with casting nursing as bonding; people get wrongheaded ideas as a result. It's FEEDING, and when you think of it as nothing more than that you have less qualms about setting rules for older nurslings.
or my SIL were her 14 month old brings her the boppy pillow to nurse and I don't want to be like that. My oldest DD weaned really well around 11 months some nights she didn't want to nurse but I have a feeling this child is going to be challenging. Hope this makes sense I am really sick with a cold and not getting much sleep.
At one year, whatever you wish. No wrong answers. Don't expect infant cooperation if she's not ready and there's no way on Earth to get it if she's not ready.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Feb. 1, 2015 at 10:12 PM
This!

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting lost2013: Ok I plan to breastfeed my child to at least 12 months she is currently 7 1/2 months. She gets a jar of fruit in the morning and a jar of veggies at night (I am not sure if I am under feeding her solids. I do give her puffs, yogurt bites, and these things called lil crunchies, I give her those two times a day of one of those finger foods).
No such thing as underfeeding solids, because they're not necessary for nutrition. I would get her off the jars, stat, though. They're mostly water. Go for something like slices of banana instead and let her self-feed.
Baby could be getting nothing but breastmilk and the nutrition is still perfect. Solids are an extra and are not at all mandatory in year one.
y she nurses every 4 hours. With my first weaning was easy she was 16 months but she slept through the night when I stopped nursing her (she staring sleeping through the night starting at 4 months of age). If my child is still getting up at night when I am ready to wean (hoping around 12-14 months) should I just try to give her cows milk or water and see if that helps?
Whatever you wish. I personally wouldn't bother doing anything and let her decrease the nursings on her own. No thought required. You can do "don't offer don't refuse" which is exactly what it says. You don't offer to nurse, nor do you refuse her requests to do so. EDITED TO ADD: If you're going to give her something else at night, water only. THe poster who pointed out the cavity risk is correct.
I feel her getting up now is a routine because she gets up the same time every night 4am. I want to throw this out there I am not one who will let my child nurse until she doesn't want to anymore because I dont want to be nursing a toddler that is my own personal thing. I just see my nephew pulling down my nieces shirt in front of people to nurse (he is 16 months)
That baby should be taught nursing manners. There's nothing so magical about nursing that you let anything and everything go. A lot of women seem to think that I think it's one of the problems with casting nursing as bonding; people get wrongheaded ideas as a result. It's FEEDING, and when you think of it as nothing more than that you have less qualms about setting rules for older nurslings.
or my SIL were her 14 month old brings her the boppy pillow to nurse and I don't want to be like that. My oldest DD weaned really well around 11 months some nights she didn't want to nurse but I have a feeling this child is going to be challenging. Hope this makes sense I am really sick with a cold and not getting much sleep.
At one year, whatever you wish. No wrong answers. Don't expect infant cooperation if she's not ready and there's no way on Earth to get it if she's not ready.

lost2013
by Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 11:00 PM
On all the labels it says example sweet potatoes and nothing else, another said sweet carrots and water, another said apples, strawberries and water.

Quoting Precious333: Yep, that too. Definitely read the ingredients. I always fed my kids real whole foods. fresh fruits and veggies. avocadoes, bananas, steamed carrots, pears are great to start with, and usually the just took some of what I was eating.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Too many solids, and most of that is junk food. She should still be nursed on demand, and nearly all of her calories should still be from breastmilk. Offer pieces of real food only after a full nursing session. Self-winding is best. Weaning at a year is a formula thing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)