• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Another question! Why can't this come "natural" to me

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 11:22 PM
  • 8 Replies
New question: ok so DD has been nursing from one side each feeding all night and morning. She had green poop last night and this morning so now I'm worried about foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. I have a heavy let down and I'm pretty sure over supply. (I pumped one breast Saturday for 5 mins and got 1.5 oz, is that to much?) She is always gassy but not fussy.
She will nurse 40 mins at a time. My problem is I'm getting engorged and it's causing me a fever, achy all over etc. and I'm really scared about my supply. DD has been so sleepy today and will all of a sudden start screaming with hunger pains without showing any cues first.
I just feel like I can't get the hang of this! I hate hearing how natural BFing is and it should come easy. It's been the most challenging thing ever for me! Thank God for my supportive husband who keeps reminding me why I'm doing all this!

Previous question: I'm letting my 2 week old nurse till she is finished but today she has decided to nurse for 30 to 40 mins on one side. I cannot get her to wake for the other side. Plus I'm worried she may over eat if I make her wake up to nurse.
She eats every 2 to 3 hours. Will this block nursing decrease my supply?
She was nursing for 10 to 15 mins on each side. Could this just be a phase?
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 11:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
lovemytwo88
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 11:32 PM
My dd (12wks) has nursed one side per feed since day 1 and i have not had any supply issues. I rotate sides each feed. Some moms do both sides per feed and some do one side. Either is fine.
courtAKAmommy
by Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 12:03 AM
I think nursing on one side would be easier. I just started to get really full and worried.

Quoting lovemytwo88: My dd (12wks) has nursed one side per feed since day 1 and i have not had any supply issues. I rotate sides each feed. Some moms do both sides per feed and some do one side. Either is fine.
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Feb. 1, 2015 at 12:15 AM
It is perfectly fine if you follow your baby's lead. Your supply will adjust to match your baby's demand.
nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 12:17 AM
Lexi mostly nurses off my right side. My supply adjusted just fine. Also, you cannot over feed a bf baby so no worries there :)
lovemytwo88
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 10:50 AM
I think its easier. My only issue is remembering which side she nursed off last but i can usually tell by fullness

Quoting courtAKAmommy: I think nursing on one side would be easier. I just started to get really full and worried.

Quoting lovemytwo88: My dd (12wks) has nursed one side per feed since day 1 and i have not had any supply issues. I rotate sides each feed. Some moms do both sides per feed and some do one side. Either is fine.
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Feb. 1, 2015 at 6:24 PM
You can try using a rubber band on your wrist to keep track of which side was used last.
hmhiggins87
by Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 9:29 PM
My almost 4 month old nurses one side per feeding session 99% of the time. Ebf no pumping. No sUpply issues. I just have a hard time remembering what side i did last. Will try Rubberband trick admin above me suggested
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Feb. 1, 2015 at 9:53 PM
This! My babes only really ever took one breast at a time. It is rarely necessary to wake a sleeping baby to feed.

Quoting aehanrahan: It is perfectly fine if you follow your baby's lead. Your supply will adjust to match your baby's demand.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)