• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Afriad I'm losing too much weight too fast

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 11:39 PM
  • 14 Replies

Before I got pregnant, I was trying to lose weight and not having any luck. I even joined a gym and hired a personal trainer. I lost 7lbs in 3 months. :(   I was killing myself in the gym almost 5 days a week. I felt guilty about taking so much time away from my kids so after a few more months I just gave up. Really not sure what was wrong. May be I really was eating too much. I just didn't see how a candy bar once in a while was hurting anything.

Now, on the 15th of this month I gave birth to a beautiful baby boy who weighed 9lbs 7oz. I weighed 289 right before delivery, I now weigh 252. Can breastfeeding really cause this much weight loss? Could pregnancy have reset my body and now I am able to lose weight? I weiged 265 wen I got pregnant. I know a lot of it was fluid, but I am down under prepregnany weight . I am just not sure about all of this. Any advice? Has this happened to anyone else? I'm worried about my milk supply.

by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 11:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
courtAKAmommy
by Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 12:10 AM
I just gave birth on the 17th.
I weighted 200 at delivery and now I'm 166. I thought I was losing too much also but I'm eating properly and staying hydrated so I'm not worrying to much.
Also my dd is thriving and gained all her weight back plus some. She was 9 lbs at birth.
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Feb. 1, 2015 at 12:10 AM
Have you had your thyroid checked? It can cause weight issues. If your thyroid is out of whack, it can affect your supply unless treated properly. Meanwhile, stay hydrated and nurse on demand.
TellMeBoutIt
by on Feb. 1, 2015 at 12:22 AM
Same happened to me. DS weighed 7.5 at birth. He's 6 weeks and I am weighing less than I did pre-pregnancy. I think it's his constant nursing and me drinking tons of water. I'm constantly thirsty. I haven't been eating any more or less. DH actually thinks I don't eat enough. I've even had McDonald's a few times... LOL And my supply is PLENTY.
xredstarsx
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 12:25 AM
I lost more than that in the first month after having both of mine. My doctor was not concerned. As long as your baby is gaining I wouldn't worry.
mamaxs4
by New Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 12:26 AM

I've had my thyroid checked and the hormones are within normal limits, But with that said I have all the symptoms of a thyroid problem. The brittle nails, my hair falling out, but I guess it could be from something else. My son weighed 9lbs 7 oz at birth and is having some trouble gaining his weight back, but he is gaining. I pump once a day, but I am only getting 2 oz now when I was getting 5oz. Not sure if that's a problem or not. My last baby I could hardly pump at all.

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Feb. 1, 2015 at 12:41 AM
I never knew what to expect after kids. After I had my first I was steadily loosing weight, not too much or little. After my second I was back to my Weight about 5 months pp. After my 3rd I lost quickly and way too much. Now, with number 4 I can't loose my belly fat. I had my thyroid checked, but thyroid conditions are hard to catch.
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Feb. 1, 2015 at 12:42 AM
Thyroid problems are very difficult to diagnose.

Quoting mamaxs4:

I've had my thyroid checked and the hormones are within normal limits, But with that said I have all the symptoms of a thyroid problem. The brittle nails, my hair falling out, but I guess it could be from something else. My son weighed 9lbs 7 oz at birth and is having some trouble gaining his weight back, but he is gaining. I pump once a day, but I am only getting 2 oz now when I was getting 5oz. Not sure if that's a problem or not. My last baby I could hardly pump at all.

mamaxs4
by New Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 12:59 AM

I know, my adoptive mother had thyroid problems. It took drs almost 20yrs to diagnose her. A nurse practioner has waved me off after the test results from my thyroid came back ok. Even my OB thinks nothing of it.

Quoting Precious333: Thyroid problems are very difficult to diagnose.
Quoting mamaxs4:

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Feb. 1, 2015 at 1:01 AM
:( so frustrating :(

Quoting mamaxs4:

I know, my adoptive mother had thyroid problems. It took drs almost 20yrs to diagnose her. A nurse practioner has waved me off after the test results from my thyroid came back ok. Even my OB thinks nothing of it.

Quoting Precious333: Thyroid problems are very difficult to diagnose.
Quoting mamaxs4:

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 1:04 AM
1 mom liked this
2 ounces is a normal pump output. More than that is oversupply. If he is going through 6 to 8 diapers every 24 hours and pooping regularly, all is well.

Quoting mamaxs4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)