Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Another pumping output question

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:00 PM
  • 4 Replies

I know there have been a ton of these lately but here's one more.  I'm down to pumping only twice a day--first thing in the morning and before bed.  This is both for my comfort and to have expressed milk for vitamins/supplement.

Typically in the morning I'm feeling engorged because DD only nurses lazily at night.  When I pump I only get 2oz on one side and 1 oz on the other.

At night when DD has been nursing well all day and I don't feel engorged I'm  getting 3oz on one side and 2 on the other.

Why?  What's going on?

Yes, I know it is nothing to worry about. 

by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Supply forever adjusts to demand, day to day, hour to hour. When she nurses well, your supply increases. When she does not, and engorgement occurs, your body slows down production. Three ounces in a session is still above average.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

LoveMyBug2013
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 10:29 PM

So because she is nursing all day the supply goes up and then when she slows for the night  it goes down?

Because I've read supply is higher in the morning.

And don't forget, my body is "used to" the pump at this point because that's how I spent the first 6 weeks.  It has only been in the last week or so that I'm not pumping all the time. 

And I never feel empty from her nursing.  I don't know if that is just an oversupply thing or a she's a preemie and isn't adept at nursing yet thing.  But she hasn't needed the bottle in a few days so yay!

Quoting MusherMaggie: Supply forever adjusts to demand, day to day, hour to hour. When she nurses well, your supply increases. When she does not, and engorgement occurs, your body slows down production. Three ounces in a session is still above average.

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 10:40 PM
Yes. Supply is naturally lower at night.

Refresh my memory--was she checked for lip and tongue ties? Are you reclining when nursing?
LoveMyBug2013
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2015 at 7:38 AM

Yes, she was checked in the NICU for ties by the speech therapist and and two LCs and they said she looked good.

And at night I do tend to recline while feeding her.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Yes. Supply is naturally lower at night. Refresh my memory--was she checked for lip and tongue ties? Are you reclining when nursing?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)