Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nursing, pumping AND working--how?!

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 9:19 PM
  • 8 Replies
So I was talking with my stepmom because she just got done weaning my half-sister off of breastfeeding--yes, my half-sister is much younger than me. We're part of the new modern type family. Anyways, my stepmom is a stay-at-home mom and said that to pump and nurse at the same time you basically just don't get any sleep.

I have been off for four weeks now and I barely get enough sleep just with nursing and pumping a little bit. I am due to go back to work on February 23rd, but I have NO IDEA what how I am going to manage nursing, pumping and working full-time. I won't have a problem pumping while she's at home with dad for the first four hours of my shift, but when DH brings her to me at work am I just supposed to nurse? Then nurse and pump at least once during her nighttime feeding sessions?

Just looking for suggestions because this is all new to me and happening so fast! :-/
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 9:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
audmom1218
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 9:24 PM
You nurse when you're together and pump when you're apart. Simple as that. Most pumping moms add in one extra pumping session first thing in the morning. Other than that you only pump when you're separated. Every 2-3 hours is sufficient. Baby only needs 1-1.25oz per hilour of separation so 8oz for an 8 hr day. That's a forever number. (Unless your kid is like mine and only takes 4-6 oz which is ok too! Just no more than 10oz)

If daddy brings her to you halfway through then count that as a bottle so really you can nurse at dropoff, bottle 2hrs later (and you pump) nurse at your 4 hour mark, pump at the 6 hr mark and nurse when you get home. .
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 10:20 PM
What audmom said. You can do this! You don't have to wash the pump parts but once a day. Just store them in a baggie in the refrigerator or cooler. Look up "Working and Pumping" on Kellymom.com.
jean_marie1987
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 10:34 PM
I went back to work when DS2 was just two weeks old. He was on nursing strike since he was four days old, so I was already pumping full time. He finally starting nursing again about two and a half weeks after I started working, so I was nursing, pumping, and working full time (and not just full time, but full time plus a commute of 3 hours round trip everyday).

Therefore, it can be done. After he started nursing again, my life got a whole lot easier, so definitely take the above advise -- nurse when you're together and pump when you're apart. I produced plenty, so I never needed the extra pumping session. I only pumped (after I established my routine and supply) at the approximate times that DS2 would have been nursing anyway.

Good luck, and you can do it!!
gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 4, 2015 at 11:24 PM

Sleep? You have a baby. You don't get to sleep. **grin** Seriously, it's MUCH easier than your mom's made it out to be. Since baby will be brought to you partway through the day, you can skip the AM tandem nurse/pump that's mandatory for most working moms. Pump midway through that first four hours. Done. If baby's with you the rest of teh time you're covered.

I worked ten hour days and didn't get baby in the middle... and I traveled. Still nursed to 26 months.It's completely doable.

ashlyncle
by on Feb. 5, 2015 at 3:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you all for the advice and support! Quite a simple method and logical! Haha...I'm sure if I wasn't as sleep deprived I would've figured it out, but I have been super forgetful lately. Also, having a really difficult time to make sure I'm eating enough good food. I've read some resources about what to foods to try to eat, but it's hard to get something good and simple whipped together. I can definitely say I was not prepared for all of this. *Baby steps a day at a time is I'm sure how I'll get through this!*
polkaspots
by on Feb. 5, 2015 at 8:28 AM
What do you mean you're looking up what to eat? You can eat normally.
Pump once every morning and then two to three hours at work.

Quoting ashlyncle: Thank you all for the advice and support! Quite a simple method and logical! Haha...I'm sure if I wasn't as sleep deprived I would've figured it out, but I have been super forgetful lately. Also, having a really difficult time to make sure I'm eating enough good food. I've read some resources about what to foods to try to eat, but it's hard to get something good and simple whipped together. I can definitely say I was not prepared for all of this. *Baby steps a day at a time is I'm sure how I'll get through this!*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 5, 2015 at 2:51 PM

There's nothing special you need to eat. Eat healthy for YOU. You could live on McNuggets and Skittles and the milk's still perfect. YOU just won't be as healthy.

So keep doing whatever you were doing before. No changes needed.

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Feb. 5, 2015 at 3:09 PM
So you'll only be separated for 4 hours a day and then she'll be with you? That's cake! She'll likely need one bottle while she's with dad... So, you only need to pump about 3oz once a day. Easy peasy. Then nurse when you're with her.

Relax! It doesn't have to be hard.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)