Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Losing milk with every swallow?

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 5:59 PM
  • 6 Replies
My 2 week old seems to push a lot of milk out of her mouth with every swallow she takes. Does this mean we have a bad latch? It doesn't hurt, no clicking while she is nursing, she is getting full, lots of wet diapers and poops, and weight gain is good. The only other concern I have is that she is pretty gassy.
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 5:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
polkaspots
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 6:00 PM
Overactive or forceful letdown. The milk is coming out too quicky for her to keep up with.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
teagsmommy
by Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 6:09 PM
She would continue to do it even after the let down sensation has stopped?

Quoting polkaspots: Overactive or forceful letdown. The milk is coming out too quicky for her to keep up with.
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Feb. 18, 2015 at 6:27 PM

I wouldnt worry :)

Is she crying with the gassiness? Overactive letdown can cause more air in, causing more gassiness. Milk dripping out of the mouth while nursing is within normal :)

Quoting teagsmommy: She would continue to do it even after the let down sensation has stopped?
Quoting polkaspots: Overactive or forceful letdown. The milk is coming out too quicky for her to keep up with.

teagsmommy
by Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 6:51 PM
She gets really fussy/gassy in the evening. Sometimes it's a ear piercing scream before she makes a huge poop. I don't want to use gas drops this early on so we've been doing warm baths and tummy rubs.

Quoting Precious333:

Is she crying with the gassiness? Overactive letdown can cause more air in, causing more gassiness. Milk dripping out of the mouth while nursing is within normal :)

Quoting teagsmommy: She would continue to do it even after the let down sensation has stopped?

polkaspots
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 7:44 PM
If the milk is still coming out quickly. Have you tried reclined nursing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Feb. 18, 2015 at 8:06 PM
If you treat the overactive letdown (look on kellymom.Com) and consider a chiropractor for her, those are ways you can help with that without giving gas drops.

Quoting teagsmommy: She gets really fussy/gassy in the evening. Sometimes it's a ear piercing scream before she makes a huge poop. I don't want to use gas drops this early on so we've been doing warm baths and tummy rubs.

Quoting Precious333:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)