Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nipple Confusion

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:18 PM
  • 8 Replies
LO's ear infection has cleared up, but I think we have a tad bit of nipple preference going on from the nursing strike caused by that. I feel like I've read every article under the sun, we do lots of skin to skin and feeding with an eyedropper at the moment when he won't nurse. He arches away from the breast and everything. Anyone gone through this and have any tips? How long did it take to clear this up? We're on day 3 on banning bottles and I feel like it's just getting harder and Elijah's getting more and more stubborn.
My cousin-in-law suggested paced bottle feeding (aka-give bottle back once in a while but do pacing) and nipple shield as she had to teach her ICU twins to breastfeed after being on bottles since birth that way. He'll nurse right when he wakes up and every once in a while randomly, but it's been a long stretch between feedings today. Any experience, tips, or help? We've been practicing most the techniques on Kellymom!
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:28 PM
How old is he? I wouldn't use the nipple shield, but a syringe or a paced bottle may be necessary if his diaper count is falling off. Is it possible that he is still in pain from the ears or from teething?
abkamp
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:40 PM
He'll be 11 weeks Saturday. We've been doing a dropper the last few days, he's starting to get annoyed by it but it's getting a few ounces in here and there. It's so strange to be having problems-he's a 16 pound, chunky little boy who loved nothing more than nursing. I know it's possible for him to be teething, but the doctor said she didn't feel anything closw enough to be cutting? He's on day 6 out of 7 of his antibiotic/probiotic.
Do you think it's safe to do a paced bottle? I'm afraid to mess up his confusion even more by bringing them back in, but I want him to get what he needs. He's got diarreha from the antibiotics.

Forgot to quote you in my post, sorry!

Quoting MusherMaggie: How old is he? I wouldn't use the nipple shield, but a syringe or a paced bottle may be necessary if his diaper count is falling off. Is it possible that he is still in pain from the ears or from teething?
gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 19, 2015 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Teethiong misery starts LONG before ther's anything that appears close to cutting or feels close to cutting. Yes, I'd used paced feeding for ONE ounce and only one ounce. Take the edge off, then switch.

Travelbugg
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2015 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this
He's pretty young for a nursing strike. And for him to choose bottles now would be a major pain for you (assuming you want to make the 1 year mark on breast milk.) If it were me I would stick it out with nursing and nursing only. Don't let him choose the bottle, bc unfortunately it's just so much easier for them, many will.

My son went on a total nursing strike at 9 months and I never got him back at the breast, though I tried and tried for weeks. Stubborn boy just knew I wasn't gonna let him starve, and I wound up pumping instead which was a major pain! But he was older so already also on solids and a sippy cup. At 11 weeks, I'd say don't give in....
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2015 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Get some probiotic powder, mix it with a drop or two of breastmilk into a paste and let him take it off your nipple or fingertip for the diarrhea. Treat the teething pain.
abkamp
by on Feb. 19, 2015 at 5:03 PM

Thank you guys :) He's super congested today, so I'm thinking he has some of the cold crud that's been going around. If once this clears up he still won't go back to the breast (which would be awful, I'd like to go at the very least a year) then I'll be back to this forum to look up solutions. Hoping this was just him being stuffed up.

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2015 at 5:47 PM
Breastmilk drops in his nose will help with the congestion. Steam up the bathroom, sit and offer to nurse, even in a tub of warm water.
abkamp
by on Feb. 19, 2015 at 10:16 PM
That's exactly what we've been doing today! I was surprised at how well the breastmilk drops worked. He nursed in the tub tonight! Hoping it's a good step in the right direction. Thank you for your help!

Quoting MusherMaggie: Breastmilk drops in his nose will help with the congestion. Steam up the bathroom, sit and offer to nurse, even in a tub of warm water.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)