Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

questions on breastfeeding

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:52 AM
  • 18 Replies
So, baby Emily will be here in 12 short weeks according to my due date. I honestly can not believe how fast this pregnancy has gone! Now with my first two children, I didn't breastfeed. I formula fed from day 1. This baby I decided to BF. But being a complete BF newb, I have a few questions.

1. How do I know if I'm producing enough milk? What do I do if I'm not?

2. I bought a nursing cover from udder covers, do they work well? Are they too hot in summer?

3. If I pump, which bottles are best for not causing nipple confusion?

4. When did you start baby on solids? I know I started my ff babies at 4 months. I read 6 for bf.

5. Any books or websites you can recommend that will be helpful learning tools?

6. How do I know if the baby has allergies?

Thanks ladies!!!
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
glen11
by New Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Congratulations on the baby and decision to breastfeed, it will be hard work at first but well worth it.

1. Wet and pooppy diapers will be your best guide. Remember that pumping is not a good indication of what baby is getting...baby is much more effective at extraction. Breastfeed...breastfeed ...breastfeed to establish a good supply, drink lots of water , relax and eat oatmeal.

2. I bought an Eddie Bauer one that I love, but it gets hot under any cover.

3. We used the avent naturals worked well for when I was at work, just remember to latch baby when together.

4.We followed baby's cue on this, we started at 7 months.

5. Kelly mom's website and lecheleague are awesome.

6. Bloody stools are a good indication of allergy.

Good luck, and don't hesitate to seek professional help and/or guidance promptly if needed. Take advantage of the hospital's lactation consultant if there is one and ask tons of questions
melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 23, 2015 at 9:56 AM
1. If it's coming out its going in. :) wet diapers and poop diapers are the only indicator of supply!

2. I've never used a nursing cover in the 5+ years I've been nursing so I have no idea :)

3. Whichever baby will take. More importantly is the 1-1.25oz per hour of separation in bottles no larger then 3oz with a slow flow nipple following the paced bottle feeding method this will help prevent a flow preference.

4. Solids after ALL the following have been met: 6months of age, sitting independently, developed a pincer grasp AND lost tongue thrust reflex. These are outward signs that internally baby's body is ready to digest solids. Google search baby led solids you may find it very easy :)

5. Books: so that's what they're for and the womanly art of breastfeeding. Websites: here!!!! And kellymom

6. Cross that bridge if you get there.
gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

1. How do I know if I'm producing enough milk?
Count diapers. 1 per day of life in week one, and as the week goes on those dipes will include at least two quarter sized poops. At one week, you start looking for 6-8 changes per day. To know how much = one wet, pour four TB water in a dry dipe. Feel it. That's it. That's one wet. Dipe count tells ALL. Nothing else.
What do I do if I'm not?
Put baby to breast more if you're not changing enough dipes. Also get baby checked for tongue tie by an Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant or a pediatric dentist of ENT. THey know what to look for. Your ped probably will not; indeed, you can probably count on everything your ped telling you to be wrong. They're not trained in breastfeeding, let alone tongue tie. Tongue tie can interfere with milk transference, and it's easily fixed by a quick clip. And if you're worried about pain in clipping: You suffer more pain, for longer, when you stub your toe. **smile**
2. I bought a nursing cover from udder covers, do they work well? Are they too hot in summer?
Covers are like hanging a neon sign saying: THIS WOMAN IS NURSING. COME TRY TO SEE HER BREASTS. The most discreet public nursing is done without any covers. And yeah, they're hot and most babies pull them off (which is one of the reasons they attract attention; mom tries to put it on, baby fusses and everyone stares to see what this womanis doing to that poor child).
3. If I pump, which bottles are best for not causing nipple confusion?
Depends on the baby. EVERY bottle has the possibility of nipple confusion. There isn't one without. It's the BABY who has the tendency. So, to best avoid the issue: No bottles unless yoiu're not there. Bottles are verboten when you're present. Trust me here. You can also go straioght to sippy cups with a soft spout from birth. Remove spill proof valve. Feeder tips, baby sips. Done. But again, if you're present, nothing but breast. Best for bringing in supply and avoiding the problem you worried about in problem one.
4. When did you start baby on solids? I know I started my ff babies at 4 months. I read 6 for bf.
It's actually six for formula babies too but the baby food manufacturers who educate doctors on nutrition (no, it doesn't come from med school) find it's better for their bottom line to NOT own up to that. Minimum six months, sitting up unassisted, pincer grasp, loss of tongue thrust reflex. If ANY of those conditions are not met, then it's too early. Some infants aren't ready for solids till one year. It's OK. THe solids are for fun rather than nutrition. She coul;d get NO solids for one whole year and be better nourished than her agemates who are stuffed on three square meals of solids a day.
5. Any books or websites you can recommend that will be helpful learning tools?
Kellymom.com is our main go-to on the web. "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro is a good read.
6. How do I know if the baby has allergies? Thanks ladies!!!
Heh heh... this is one of those "You'll know!" situations. Allergies are really quite rare. On the other hand, it's normal to see a sensitivity to dairy. That can show up in the form of green frothy stools, gassiness and low weight gain.
One more thing you should know: Expectations for gain.
Week One: LOSS of 10-12% depending on delivery. Lower end of loss for vaginal births, higher end for c-section.
Week Two: Regain of a minimum of four ounces from LOWEST weight. May or may not be at birth weight.
Week 3 and thereafter: Gain of at least four ounces per week AVERAGE. Some weeks may be less, some may be more. Look at baby's average gain over her lifetime. Keep a record. If there are any sudden losses or changes, look at your record and see what if anything changed.

KylersMom8-16-7
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:46 PM
You got good advice here. Just remember you both have to learn, it doesn't always come naturally and it can be hard at first. Avoid the booby traps!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
that_mom_mary
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:47 PM
Lol what are booby traps?

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7: You got good advice here. Just remember you both have to learn, it doesn't always come naturally and it can be hard at first. Avoid the booby traps!
KylersMom8-16-7
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:54 PM
They are common breastfeeding barriers.

http://www.nursinginpublic.com/breastfeeding-advocacy/bad-advice-about-breastfeeding-boobie-traps/

Quoting that_mom_mary: Lol what are booby traps?

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7: You got good advice here. Just remember you both have to learn, it doesn't always come naturally and it can be hard at first. Avoid the booby traps!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ducks4Life
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 2:19 PM

1. How do I know if I'm producing enough milk? What do I do if I'm not? Baby's diaper is an indication that s/he is getting enough.

2. I bought a nursing cover from udder covers, do they work well? Are they too hot in summer? I don't use covers, draws to much attention IMO.  Also some babies like to pull the covers off.

3. If I pump, which bottles are best for not causing nipple confusion? I use playtex, dd did not like it at first though. lol

4. When did you start baby on solids? I know I started my ff babies at 4 months. I read 6 for bf.  I gave dd peaches yesterday, she will be 6 months on Thursday. Indicators that baby is read; lost tongue thrust, can sit unassisted, has pincher grasp.

5. Any books or websites you can recommend that will be helpful learning tools? There are few, I did not use any in regards to bfing.

6. How do I know if the baby has allergies? Rashes, bloody stool, fussiness...  There are many possible indications.

Thanks ladies!!!

NOTE: If you pump...  What you pump is NOT an indication of how much milk you are actually feeding baby...  Also it is average for a woman to only pump 1-2 ounces of bm per session!

Luvmy2babies22
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 5:24 PM
I've bf 3 babies but am no expert. I just know what works for me and my kids.

I've never used anymore than a large receiving blanket to nurse my kids in public. I think the covers are a gimmick. They work but are unnecessary imo. Just one more thing to deal with.

I've also used bottles for all 3 kids and have never had any issues with "nipple confusion". They've used all types of bottles with no issues going back and forth.

We've officially waited until 6 months for solids but have given them tastes before that.

I think it's easy to get caught up in the checklist of "dos" and "donts" but really, it's so natural, you'll do just fine! You'll find what system works for you even if it's not always what's "recommended" by the sites.

Good luck and congrats!! My littlest nursling turned 10 months today and I'm not sure how these times fly by so quickly!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 5:35 PM
Google "open gut" and "baby-led solids" for some really good information. Remember that babies were breastfed for millenia without thought. It must have worked or we wouldn't be here!
that_mom_mary
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 5:41 PM
Everyone makes it seem like it's this big difficult task lol my friends who tried breastfeeding lasted maybe a week if that and when I said I was going to with this baby I got so many omg why, you'll do nothing but nurse, it's more painful than labor lol so naturally I am nervous!

Quoting MusherMaggie: Google "open gut" and "baby-led solids" for some really good information. Remember that babies were breastfed for millenia without thought. It must have worked or we wouldn't be here!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)