Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

overwhelmed....

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 9:49 AM
  • 15 Replies
to start out i this is baby number 3 for us and i have not breastfed the previous DS and DD.

determined to make this work no matter what, but its getting very stressful.
he wont latch, so i have to pump. which takes a lot of time and makes for a harder schedule.
i do get to see a lactation consultant today but im affraid its too late... hes a week old today and has been a bottle since day 2. im getting so frustrated because i dont want to only be able to pump, but i will if thats what i have to do.

finally having a hormone let down from pregnancy and this breastfeeding thing is making it even more difficult....

i just keep thinking it takes 21 days to make a habbit... were 1/3 of the way there!!!

UPDATE... I FINALLY GOT HIM TO LATCH THIS MORNING!!! IT ONLY TOOK A MINUTE... DOING MY HAPPY DANCE :)
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:14 AM

hugs hugs mama!

What have you tried to get baby to latch? What kind of Lactation consultant are you seeing? Is she IBCLC certified? How often are you pumping and what size bottles are you giving, how often?

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:17 AM

btw, it really isnt too late, you can still try and get baby to latch. Some moms have gone much longer befire getting baby to latch.

http://kellymom.com/ages/newborn/bf-basics/latch-resources/

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

http://www.llli.org/faq/back.html

hmhiggins87
by Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:20 AM
Don't give up momma! Its hard but you can do this!!

My little one was given formula in a bottle from the day she was born 4 weeks early. I pumped randonly and gave her a little breastmilk every day. I didn't think she was latching and would get mad when we tried. At 3 weeks old i finally just decided to give up bottles. If she got hungry enough she would nurse. Syre enough the first day was hardest but she would finally give in and nurse. She will be 5 months on february 6th and os a champ i think at nursing!

gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Mine wouldn't latch for the first 14 days of his life. So no giving up yet.

have you tried a supplemental nursing system yet? Much better than bottles. Also, if you must use a bottle, one ounce only and then switch to the breast. He won't like it. That's OK. IT was the necessary trick here.

sophiasmommy27
by Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:29 AM
Dd was on a bottle for almost three weeks before I got lazy and put her to my boob. It is possible moma :) don't give up. It gets easier!
irishtwins1213
by Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:30 AM
Oh my I have no idea if she's certified she just works for my hospital. But I'm pumping every 3 hours and he easts about 2 oz at a time

Quoting Precious333:

hugs hugs mama!

What have you tried to get baby to latch? What kind of Lactation consultant are you seeing? Is she IBCLC certified? How often are you pumping and what size bottles are you giving, how often?

leebles
by Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:45 AM
My lo couldn't latch do to a tongue tie... Could that be the issue?
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:19 AM
Ok, I w9uld up it to 2 hours for a newborn and while you are establishing your supply. I would definitely check her credentials.

Quoting irishtwins1213: Oh my I have no idea if she's certified she just works for my hospital. But I'm pumping every 3 hours and he easts about 2 oz at a time

Quoting Precious333:

hugs hugs mama!

MamaCeleste0722
by Celeste on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:04 PM
Not too late! It took one of my boys almost 2 months to latch!

What worked for us:
Skin to skin - you with no shirt and no bra, baby in just a diaper. Put him on your chest.

Breast compressions

Pump to get letdown and then try to latch

And I found that it's important to nurse at the first sign of hunger. Crying is a late sign and my son had a hard time latching because he was so hungry
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 5:40 PM
Have a look at "Getting Baby Back to Breast" on Kellymom.com.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)