Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm worried. somewhat OT

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 7:44 PM
  • 8 Replies
My LO is 20 months and just starting to walk, which is great. But he's still not talking. Not even a little bit. Plus he's a little small for his age. His NP was concerned b/c his weight dropped from 50th percentile at birth to ~20th. He was 7lbs 6 oz at birth. At 18 mos he was exactly 22 lbs. should I be worried about him? He's very happy and full of energy. He eats quite a bit and seems healthy. But I can't help be concerned. I don't have a current weight on him, sorry.
by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 7:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Feb. 27, 2015 at 7:55 PM
I wouldn't be concerned at all with just his weight, that is a perfectly acceptable weight for his birth weight and age, the walking is a little late and when you add the absence of verbal skills, it definitely makes me think something is off. I would have him assessed for lip and tongue ties and by your local early intervention programs to rule out or diagnosis and than offer treatment for any issues.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:45 PM
Quoting Cruz-s-mommy: I wouldn't be concerned at all with just his weight, that is a perfectly acceptable weight for his birth weight and age, the walking is a little late and when you add the absence of verbal skills, it definitely makes me think something is off. I would have him assessed for lip and ton3gue ties and by your local early intervention programs to rule out or diagnosis and than offer treatment for any issues.

This. I don't think it has anything to do with breastfeeding or his weight, which is perfect. I do agree with checking for ties. Have a look at the section on ties in our resources sticky. There are links to pictures,articles and a list of reputable providers by state who revise ties.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Feb. 28, 2015 at 9:14 AM
I agree his weight is fine, but the other milestones are off. I'd ask the pediatrician about an evaluation from early intervention, from the county. They can assess and recommend any necessary therapies, like speech therapy and occupational therapy. Does he communicate by sign or gestures? Does he *understand* your words but not speak on his own?
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Feb. 28, 2015 at 12:28 PM
I was going to ask the Same thing

Quoting mostlymaydays: I agree his weight is fine, but the other milestones are off. I'd ask the pediatrician about an evaluation from early intervention, from the county. They can assess and recommend any necessary therapies, like speech therapy and occupational therapy. Does he communicate by sign or gestures? Does he *understand* your words but not speak on his own?
JodyR82
by Member on Feb. 28, 2015 at 2:41 PM
He understands some things like if I say where's H's nose? He'll point at his nose. He signs "more" and "eat". I know the range of talking can be really wide, but when compared to other kids his age he's not nearly talking enough.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Feb. 28, 2015 at 2:51 PM
That's a good sign, that he understands what you're saying. So his expressive language is behind. Yes, there is quite a range but we can all tell you stories about a kid who didn't talk until after 3, or a kid who talked at 9 months, or one who didn't ever talk at all, and it's just anectdotes. Have him expertly evaluated. They know how to put all the peices together and figure out what's going on.

Quoting JodyR82: He understands some things like if I say where's H's nose? He'll point at his nose. He signs "more" and "eat". I know the range of talking can be really wide, but when compared to other kids his age he's not nearly talking enough.
Smokeygirl
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2015 at 3:45 PM
2 moms liked this
I am a speech language pathologist- I would highly recommend you get your son evaluated. If there are delays, the earlier you start treatment, it can dramatically change the outcome.

Early intervention is the best thing you can do- both speech and physical therapy might be a place to start.
jaxons_mama
by Allyson on Feb. 28, 2015 at 7:00 PM
I agree with the others on asking about early intervention.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)