Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help!

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 7:07 AM
  • 7 Replies
Baby is five days old, my milk came in full force yesterday. I'm fairly certain he has a lip tie (Yay genetics! All of my kids have had it) because he doesn't seem to be getting a sufficient amount and nurses all the time. That will be addressed on Friday at his appt.

I'm so engorged. I've been pumping to relieve the pressure and build a stash for while I'm at school two days a week, but it is deep behind where I normally feel engorged. This is like back towards my arm pits. How do I relieve this?
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 7:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Ayasmama
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 7:51 AM

hot shower

melindabelcher
by mel on Mar. 4, 2015 at 7:52 AM

Nurse, hand express or pump until the edge is taken off.

Its very common for baby to be nursing all the time at this point. 

How are diapers?

LorinLizziesMom
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 10:17 AM
He's good. Plenty of wet and poop. I'm pumping. I've just never had the pain deep like this. Hopefully it's not becoming mastitis already

Quoting melindabelcher:

Nurse, hand express or pump until the edge is taken off.

Its very common for baby to be nursing all the time at this point. 

How are diapers?

KylersMom8-16-7
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this
That's exactly where I ended up with mastitis, pumping didn't help much. Hot shower, massage, and nursing like crazy. It's probably a bit early to start pumping, you're increasing your oversupply.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 3:57 PM
You don't have to have a large stash. Baby only needs 1-1.25 ounces per hour of separation fed in 2-3 ounce portions every 2-3 hours. Always use the slowest flow newborn nipple. Baby is held in a sitting position, bottle parallel to the floor, burping after every ounce.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:10 PM
I agree that pumping is further encouraging oversupply. right now you should only pump just enough to take the edge off. Heat further encourages oversupply. Try cold packs. And ibuprofen, both which help with the swelling. You can uses heat before nursing if you're so engorged the baby can't latch on, along with reverse pressure softening to allow baby to latch. I've had to block feed in 6 hour blocks and use cabbage leaves for engorgement but I'm very nervous to suggest aggressive management while the baby might have a lip or tongue tie.
LittleRed80
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:23 PM
Posterior tongue ties often accompany lip ties. They are further back and harder to see and diagnose. I just dealt with this with my 6 week old and I felt the same way. Deep aching way back in my boobs. I think it was because she couldn't suck well. I started to get clogged ducts so I had to start do a good pump in the morning. Lots of massage and compression while nursing. Went for a tie revision at 7 days old. They didn't do a good job on the posterior, but even the lip tie clip helped. Then I stopped pumping so I wasn't encouraging the oversupply.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)