Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First timer

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 7:56 AM
  • 18 Replies
Hey all! I was due two days ago and this will be my first time BFing. My other two children were strictly FF and im determined to strictly BF this one.

My mother keeps saying I need to give the baby formula the first few days until my milk comes in. Although ive read that my colostrum (which ive had for a while now) will be enough for baby. Advice?
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 7:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Mar. 4, 2015 at 7:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Nurse on demand, every wiggle and wimper the first few days and everything likely will be fine. :)

Baby is born with a stomach the size of a cherry so you don't need 2-3oz to fill it. The small amounts of colostrum is super rich in nutrition and perfect for baby. No need for formula. 

Come here for advice :) Another thought is that if the mom wasn't successful in nursing her own children to 1 or beyond they may not be the best source of advice.

BrownEyedGirl86
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this

nurse whenever baby wants. I wish i had known but its ok for the baby to be on you literally 23 hours aday (or at least feel that way) 
I only gave dd2 formula in the hospital so dad and her brother and sister could feed her. besides that I just bf- then got home and bought a pump and they fed her those bottles. 

This is a great group! you can do it! just follow your gut! 

audmom1218
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 8:17 AM
2 moms liked this
My advice to you.... Don't take any parenting advice from anyone who hasn't achieved your goals! I doubt your mom has had a successful long term nursing relationship if that's her advice. So just ignore it! Read posts on here, read the books recommended above, and bookmark kellymom.com. Familiarize yourself with what's normsl and not. Our society has a skewed view of how babies should act, so don't let people tell you something is wrong if baby wants to eat for 45 min every hour, or for 5 min every 2 hours! All babies are different!
.PinkHart.
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 8:17 AM
1 mom liked this
No! You don't need formula at all. Your colostrum is all the baby needs until your milk comes in. Put baby on breast asap after birth and as frequently as possible.
BEXi
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:05 AM

Thanks, everyone!! My intuition told me the same thing you all are telling me now, that's why I was so skeptic and wanted to ask.

I will definitely be here quite often for advice once baby comes!

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Diaper count tells you about your supply. One diaper per day of life.  Poop counts as two. By day 6 you want to see 6 diapers every 24 hours with 2 poops in there.  Babies want to nurse constantly. Normal weight loss of 10-12% in the first week.  After that you're looking for 4 ounce gain a week from lowest weight. Not birth weight.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Ignore your mother. Humans were totally breastfed before formula was ever invented. Your colostrum will indeed be enough. Nursing at every wiggle is what brings first the colostrum, then your milk in.

Read posts here and on Kellymom.com. Two books : " So That's What They're For " by Janet Tamaro and " The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding " from La Leche League. Go to LLLI.org and see if there is a group that meets near you. Google " Find an IBCLC " ( Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant ). This is your go-to breastfeeding professional. Also have a look at the section on ties in our resources sticky. Lip and tongue ties are fairly common and often need to be revised so the baby can nurse effectively.Pediatricians, as a general rule, do not study human lactation or infant nutrition; in these areas, they often give incorrect information.
Ducks4Life
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Nurse on demand.  :-)

justone_jen
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this
What everyone else said. :) You'll do great.
lovemytwo88
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:36 PM
2 moms liked this
If babies need formula before moms milk comes in then how did the human race ever survive before formula was invented? Lol makes no sense :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)