Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hoping you ladies might have some suggestions

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 1:04 PM
  • 9 Replies
Okay so my cousin struggled with breastfeeding her first two and gave up both times after just a couple weeks. She had baby number 3 last week and is determined to make it work this time around. I had assumed she was just given bad info the first two times but from what is going on this time around I think she may have legititmate supply issues. Baby was born 9 days ago via c-section. Diaper counts are not where they should be. At the last weight check, last Friday baby was down a whole pound (she was 7 lbs 6 oz at birth). She's already nursing TONS during the day and every two hours at night, pumping after nursing sessions. She's upped her water intake, is taking fengreek, eating steel cut oats and mother's milk tea. I suggested trying a whole day of skin to skin and constant nursing. She was going to give that a try today. Baby has been checked for ties. Is there anything else I can tell her to try?
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 1:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
shortyali
by Alicia on Mar. 4, 2015 at 2:44 PM
What are the actual diaper counts?

Honestly everything here is screaming ties to me. If she is getting anything pumping after nursing then it's not a mom problem, it's a baby problem. Sounds like baby is not transferring enough milk.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 3:12 PM
Is the baby jaundiced? Can you get a picture of the baby's mouth with the top lip turned up and one with it open, like when the baby is crying?
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Mar. 4, 2015 at 3:46 PM
She's 9 days old and producing 3-4 diapers a day.
She is only getting a couple cc's total from both breasts when she pumps after a feeding.
Ties were my first thought too but she says the pedi and her lc checked and said no ties and her latch is great. I'll have to see if I can get her to text me some pictures of her lip and tounge.

Quoting shortyali: What are the actual diaper counts?

Honestly everything here is screaming ties to me. If she is getting anything pumping after nursing then it's not a mom problem, it's a baby problem. Sounds like baby is not transferring enough milk.
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Mar. 4, 2015 at 3:48 PM
Not jaundiced.
I will see if I can get her to text me some pictures.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Is the baby jaundiced? Can you get a picture of the baby's mouth with the top lip turned up and one with it open, like when the baby is crying?
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Mar. 4, 2015 at 3:51 PM
Hmmm. You're thinking of all the right things. I'm still suspicious of the tongue and lip ties. We've seen babies all the time that aren't diagnosed until they get a third or fourth opinion. I'd try to find an IBCLC who knows a thing or two about diagnosing tongue ties.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Mar. 4, 2015 at 3:52 PM
Www.drgahari.Com has a page where he describes how to properly assess a baby's mouth for tongue tie, what to *feel* for because it's rarely about what you can or can't *see*.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Mar. 4, 2015 at 3:53 PM
I had an IBCLC look at my dd's lip in the hospital and she said it wasn't a lip tie but Dr Ghaheri said it was a "ginormous lip tie".

Quoting cabrandy03: She's 9 days old and producing 3-4 diapers a day.
She is only getting a couple cc's total from both breasts when she pumps after a feeding.
Ties were my first thought too but she says the pedi and her lc checked and said no ties and her latch is great. I'll have to see if I can get her to text me some pictures of her lip and tounge.

Quoting shortyali: What are the actual diaper counts?

cabrandy03
by Brandy on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:02 PM
This is exactly the the kind of info I was just searching for. Thanks!

Quoting mostlymaydays: Www.drgahari.Com has a page where he describes how to properly assess a baby's mouth for tongue tie, what to *feel* for because it's rarely about what you can or can't *see*.
Mummy2Connor
by Member on Mar. 5, 2015 at 12:28 AM

Has she had any prenatal or postnatal breast exams? Any veining or breast changes? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)