Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

supply dropping

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 9:06 PM
  • 28 Replies
My dd is 11 months old ebf no bottles. My supply decreases every month around my period which came back freakishly early this time around. I try tea, lactation cookies, oats, fenugreek, everything it doesn't help. Any other advice
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 9:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Greenbird15
by Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Well can you supplement with soy milk(ask her Dr), it could be she is just starting the weaning process. My daughter didn't take a bottle or a sippy cup, I showed her how to drink from a straw so she used straw cups. (fill up straw with water or soy milk with your finger on the end and slowly remove finger in taps until she knows to suck the straw then she can use the cup) Good luck my daughter weaned at 13 1/2 mos and yes she cut down her nursing so I wouldn't worry-(she is allergic to dairy & wouldn't drink the soy so she is still on Rice Dream, almost 6 yrs old, is growing out of allergy but not quite yet.)

mcmlxxxv
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 9:44 PM
Have you tried pumping during those times just to increase production? You don't actually have to feed her the bottles, obviously. If you don't have a pump, maybe you can just try massage and hand expression?
Travelbugg
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 9:50 PM
Well 11 months is not terribly early. I'd say pump and freeze some extra milk when it's not your time of month so that you can give her extra milk in a cup to offset your supply drop durring your period. You really only have 1 more month till you *can* introduce cows milk, so I wouldn't stress too much. It's really common for supply to drop durring your period. Mine always did....
audmom1218
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 9:53 PM

What makes you think supply is dropping?  At 11 months any replacement milk still needs to be formula.  No cow or soy milk. Keeping hydration up is a big key.  Allt he lactation supplements in the world won't help if there isn't really a problem, though. So fill us in on what is making you think your supply is dipping.  

Best thing to do in most instances, though is to nurse more.  

Mammacra
by Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 9:58 PM
I have tried i get a few drops :'(

Quoting mcmlxxxv: Have you tried pumping during those times just to increase production? You don't actually have to feed her the bottles, obviously. If you don't have a pump, maybe you can just try massage and hand expression?
Mammacra
by Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 10:01 PM
I am not at all ready to wean. I have several hundred oz in the freezer but hate to introduce any other source for liquid. Ideally we will ebf until she is 2. She eating food so im not concerned about her nutrition i just hate the drop in supply. I seem to have an over supply once it comes back.

Quoting Travelbugg: Well 11 months is not terribly early. I'd say pump and freeze some extra milk when it's not your time of month so that you can give her extra milk in a cup to offset your supply drop durring your period. You really only have 1 more month till you *can* introduce cows milk, so I wouldn't stress too much. It's really common for supply to drop durring your period. Mine always did....
Mammacra
by Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 10:04 PM
I have noticed since af came back in December that right before i get my period my supply drops. Its hormones obviously but its super annoying. I personally will never feed my children formula for any reason and i have a huge freezer stash. If she doesn't want to nurse she wont i try nursing extra and she just pulls on my nipple or slaps my breast. Maybe she can tell and just looses interest.

Quoting audmom1218:

What makes you think supply is dropping?  At 11 months any replacement milk still needs to be formula.  No cow or soy milk. Keeping hydration up is a big key.  Allt he lactation supplements in the world won't help if there isn't really a problem, though. So fill us in on what is making you think your supply is dipping.  

Travelbugg
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 10:19 PM
I get it. I wasn't ready to wean my son either... But he was. He stopped nursing and I kept pumping for 3.5 more months afterwards just so I could keep him on my milk.... I'm just saying...if it does come to that, you made it the full year that is recommended....

But if you're not worried about her nutrition, then I'd say don't worry about your supply either. It's only a temporary drop for a few days.... You know it will come back as soon as AF leaves town.

Quoting Mammacra: I am not at all ready to wean. I have several hundred oz in the freezer but hate to introduce any other source for liquid. Ideally we will ebf until she is 2. She eating food so im not concerned about her nutrition i just hate the drop in supply. I seem to have an over supply once it comes back.

Quoting Travelbugg: Well 11 months is not terribly early. I'd say pump and freeze some extra milk when it's not your time of month so that you can give her extra milk in a cup to offset your supply drop durring your period. You really only have 1 more month till you *can* introduce cows milk, so I wouldn't stress too much. It's really common for supply to drop durring your period. Mine always did....
audmom1218
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 10:34 PM

but what are your actual signs that you aren't getting enough?  If it's pump output, that's totally fine and normal.  If baby is acting fussy, it is still likely they are getting enough (just not the speed they are used to, especially if you have oversupply normallY) provided they are getting enough diapers.  I'm just looking for what you are seeing as a "supply dip". 

Quoting Mammacra: I have noticed since af came back in December that right before i get my period my supply drops. Its hormones obviously but its super annoying. I personally will never feed my children formula for any reason and i have a huge freezer stash. If she doesn't want to nurse she wont i try nursing extra and she just pulls on my nipple or slaps my breast. Maybe she can tell and just looses interest.
Quoting audmom1218:

audmom1218
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 10:35 PM

as you probably already know, this is totally normal as you approach a year (and why it's downright laughable when those who have never nursed tell moms they should pump and put it in a cup after the first year!! Pure insanity, in my mind!) 

Quoting Mammacra: I have tried i get a few drops :'(
Quoting mcmlxxxv: Have you tried pumping during those times just to increase production? You don't actually have to feed her the bottles, obviously. If you don't have a pump, maybe you can just try massage and hand expression?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)