Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Foremilk/hind milk imbalance

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 9:27 PM
  • 11 Replies
So I suspect my twins have tongue tie (appointment w LC tomorrow to confirm) and I suspect that has caused them a foremilk-hindmk imbalance. Really hoping it is tongue tie so I can get them clipped and we can fix my supply issues.... But in the meantime poor little guys are so gassy and uncomfortable. It's so so sad. Besides nursing on the same breast again, are there any fixes for foremilk/hind milk issues?
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 9:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcmlxxxv
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 9:50 PM
I would sometimes unlatch my DD right after letdown and express some of the foremilk, and then relatch her. She wasn't too happy about that, but it was "fussy now" or "gassy later." My supply and the imbalance evened out at about the 3 month mark. We also found that gripe water helped somewhat.
audmom1218
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 9:55 PM

What makes you think fore/hind imbalance?  What are your supply issues?  How are babies diapers?  Are they exclusively nursing/receiving any bottles?  What do diapers look like?  The fussiness is usually due to oversupply.  Current research is showing that the fore/hindmilk thing is really not a big deal at all. 

Travelbugg
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 10:44 PM
Well diaper count is super high so I know they are getting "enough" and they are gaining weight faster than average....(which I read can sometimes be a sign of excess foremilk) but yes, they are EBF. Diapers on one is yellow, on the other a greenish yellow.

My supply issues is that they won't nurse in my left side bc I have a partially inverted nipple, and they can't latch well. (Hoping bc of a tie) As a result both babies are nursing 90% on my right. So my left now has low supply and my right an oversupply. I've already adjusted by nursing leaning backwards and to the side so they are almost sitting up. That has cut down on the gulping and helped a bit w the gas. But still they are very very gassy. One baby in particular who has a more difficult time burping is always either eating or crying. He literally has no happy or calm moments and I know it's bc he's in so much pain. They wake up starving, and grunt and moan a lot in their sleep. And they don't sleep for more than 45 minutes stretch at night. Though they are drinking what seems to be a LOT of milk.,One baby I mentioned has a hard time burping, the other burps and farts like a grown man. So they both have gas issues.,which is why I'm thinking its a foremilk hind milk issue as well as oversupply.,I am trying to get this tie fixed asap so I can get them latched on the other side and hopefully regulate my supply better....but in the meantime The poor things are so uncomfortable... :(

Quoting audmom1218:

What makes you think fore/hind imbalance?  What are your supply issues?  How are babies diapers?  Are they exclusively nursing/receiving any bottles?  What do diapers look like?  The fussiness is usually due to oversupply.  Current research is showing that the fore/hindmilk thing is really not a big deal at all. 

Travelbugg
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 12:12 AM
Is gripe waters the same as simethicone gas drops? Ive tried the gas drops...I'm not sure if it helps, but baby does like the taste.

Quoting mcmlxxxv: I would sometimes unlatch my DD right after letdown and express some of the foremilk, and then relatch her. She wasn't too happy about that, but it was "fussy now" or "gassy later." My supply and the imbalance evened out at about the 3 month mark. We also found that gripe water helped somewhat.
PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 12:56 AM
I have a partially inverted nipple and after my baby's ties were revised, it's not an issue any more :) If it's been tucked in, I do have some discomfort, but nothing too bad. the gas and other issues are coming from the ties
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Mar. 16, 2015 at 1:23 AM
The ties are most likely causing the issues.
LittleRed80
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 3:21 AM
I probably wouldn't do anything to try and correct an oversupply until you have the ties evaluated and corrected. Just reclined nursing and massage and compression while they are nursing to try and release some of the more fatty milk.
Travelbugg
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 3:44 AM
Lord I hope this is true for us too!!! W them being preemie, and there being 2 of them, it has been a REALLY challenging breadtfeeding journey the last 3 weeks. And I'm an experienced Breastfeeder!! I am so ready to have normal little nurselibgs

Quoting PoodleMum: I have a partially inverted nipple and after my baby's ties were revised, it's not an issue any more :) If it's been tucked in, I do have some discomfort, but nothing too bad. the gas and other issues are coming from the ties
Travelbugg
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 3:45 AM
Ok thanks. You're probably right.

Quoting LittleRed80: I probably wouldn't do anything to try and correct an oversupply until you have the ties evaluated and corrected. Just reclined nursing and massage and compression while they are nursing to try and release some of the more fatty milk.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 8:12 AM
It's overactive letdown as well, complicated by the ties. Reclined nursing: you lean back, baby goes tummy - to - tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)