Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

C-section and breastfeeding ?'S

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:45 AM
  • 8 Replies

Ok I will be having my baby in early July. I know I will have a c section (unless baby pops out on his own time). How should I prepare my breasts for milk. My first DD I leaked very early so my milk was already there when she was born. I have not had that happen yet. I'm afraid I wont leak or have milk to give. What should I do to help the milk come for when hes here? Does it just come when the baby sucks on them?

by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
KylersMom8-16-7
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Just nurse him on demand. Milk won't come in until after birth, 3-6 days after normally. Before then you'll have colostrum which is all he'll need:-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Delivery of the baby and placenta trigger the hormonal cascade that starts milk production. Having a Cesarean section makes no difference. Leaking has no bearing on being able to nurse, either. Prepare by gathering information. Read posts here and on Kellymom.com. Two books : " So That's What They're For " by Janet Tamaro and " The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding " from La Leche League. Go to LLLI.org and see if there is a group that meets near you. Google " Find an IBCLC " ( Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant ). This is your go-to breastfeeding professional.
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Mar. 16, 2015 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this
There is nothing to do to prepare your breasts. The pregnancy hormones are doing that. Ask to have the baby placed at your breast as soon as possible after the birth. Some hospitals will put the baby to the breast while she's being closed up. My second son was brought to me as soon as I got into recovery. The nurse helped me roll to my side so he could nurse since I couldn't sit up yet. The colostrum WILL be there and the baby only needs drops until the mature milk starts to come in.
missdiane
by Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 12:26 PM

Ok thanks for the good info everyone. Now i'm not as nervous about it. :)

jennierenna
by Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this
You don't have to do anything, it'll come on it's own, having a c-section doesn't affect it.
wkukid
by on Mar. 17, 2015 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I had a section with my first and I didn't do anything special. 20 months later she's still nursing and I'm pregnant with number 2.
gdiamante
by Gina on Mar. 20, 2015 at 12:30 AM

You do nothing to your breasts. It's only your brain that needs preparation. **grin** Recommended reading: So That's What They're For by Janet Tamaro.

Many women never leak in pregnancy. No worries.

livia1025
by on Mar. 20, 2015 at 12:37 AM
I breastfed 2 c-section babies. Preparing your breasts isn't necessary. Nursing on demand will help bring in your supply. It will be normal for baby to drop some of it's initial body weight. Make sure you drink lots of water & eat balanced meals. That will help keep your supply going.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)