Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help getting rid of clogged duct and mastitis

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 7:43 PM
  • 9 Replies
I've experienced clogged ducts many times with my firstborn because I had to pump 5x a day while at work, but they always unclogged once he nursed. Now I have a lemon sized lump deep in my breast that has been there over 48 hours and I can't get it to pass. I ended up with mastitis because of it and started antibiotics at 11 pm last night. I've also been trying to massage it out once a day in the shower, taking lechithin supplements 4x a day, nursing my daughter in different positions, nothing is working. I'm pumping the other side since it responds to the pump that way I can offer the clogged breast first every feeding. Anyone have other suggestions? I'm getting pus out and afraid of it turning into an abscess.
by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 7:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Apr. 5, 2015 at 10:26 PM
You're already doing most of what we recommend. Have you tried dangle nursing? How about using a vibrating toothbrush to help massage the duct? Hot compresses before the massages?
_ethansmommy
by Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 10:28 PM
Hot compresses work wonders!!
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 10:55 PM
I think you should see a doctor at this point. You may already be on your way to an abcess.
mindysue852
by Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 11:14 PM
I've tried hot compress before feeding twice and I laid her down and the laid upside down from her to feed her, no success. Haven't tried dangle nursing cause I'm feeling really weak and go back n forth from running fevers to having bad chills. I'll try a vibrating toothbrush now.

Quoting mostlymaydays: You're already doing most of what we recommend. Have you tried dangle nursing? How about using a vibrating toothbrush to help massage the duct? Hot compresses before the massages?
mindysue852
by Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 11:17 PM
That's what I was afraid of when I got pus out. I talked to dr last night n he said if I wasn't feeling better within a couple days to go to ER...I guess if it hasn't passed and still not feeling better tomorrow I will be calling him to see if I can get an appt with him or if they really do think it's a ER situation :(

Quoting MusherMaggie: I think you should see a doctor at this point. You may already be on your way to an abcess.
lovemytwo88
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2015 at 11:31 AM
I agree w/maggie. Go back to the doctor. Hope it heals up soon!!
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Apr. 6, 2015 at 12:21 PM
How are you feeling today? I agree you're right there at the doorstep of an abscess. Unless you've have a significant improvement, I think you need to get checked out today.
mindysue852
by Member on Apr. 6, 2015 at 2:07 PM
Today I don't have any of the mastitis symptoms and I'm feeling better, but the lump is still there. I hand expressed and got a lot of milk out and no pus. My breast doesn't hurt like it did and isn't red anymore. I have an appt Friday to check my mirena strings anyway so I'm trying to decide if it'd be ok to have dr check it out then or try to get an appt sooner in the week. Is it possible to have a plugged duct for 3+ days without it being an abscess?

Quoting mostlymaydays: How are you feeling today? I agree you're right there at the doorstep of an abscess. Unless you've have a significant improvement, I think you need to get checked out today.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Apr. 6, 2015 at 11:02 PM
Yes, lumps can hang around for a while. *Most* people never experience an abscess. However you're talking about an exceptionally large clog. I wish we could tag in cafemom because I hope Kelley/stepconfused pops in because she's a dr.

Quoting mindysue852: Today I don't have any of the mastitis symptoms and I'm feeling better, but the lump is still there. I hand expressed and got a lot of milk out and no pus. My breast doesn't hurt like it did and isn't red anymore. I have an appt Friday to check my mirena strings anyway so I'm trying to decide if it'd be ok to have dr check it out then or try to get an appt sooner in the week. Is it possible to have a plugged duct for 3+ days without it being an abscess?

Quoting mostlymaydays: How are you feeling today? I agree you're right there at the doorstep of an abscess. Unless you've have a significant improvement, I think you need to get checked out today.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)