Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

hello ladies!

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 8:07 PM
  • 13 Replies
Hello, my name is Amanda. I'm a mother to a 5 year old dd. I joined the group in search of help. My little sister just had a baby 2 months ago and isn't producing milk, I on the other hand still have some milk when my nipple are stimulated. She's come to me for advice so I did research and everything says to pump like every 20-30 minutes to build up her supply, she's been trying randomly but so far no success so she plans on trying now every half hour but in the mean time she's asked me if she cannot build up her supply if I would try to build up mine advice give her the milk, which I'm fine with doing.

So ladies I'd really appreciate any advice I can either give my sister or use to build up either of our milk supplies.

Thank you all.
by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 8:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 8:29 PM

How does she know she's not producing milk? Is her baby able to latch and nurse from tap? If she's not producing to a pump, that's not nessecarily an indication of supply, if baby's peeing and pooping but she can't get any milk fro pumping, that's actually fairly common.

MrsWhite101610
by Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 9:13 PM
Oh thanks. Ugh I didn't know any of this when I had my daughter, my doctor had me on a medication that traveled through breast milk so I wasn't able to breast feed for safety reasons.
Anyway, I will tell her to try nursing and just watch for the diapers. Sorry these are silly questions but how often should she offer the boob/ for how long and how many diapers should she expect to know the baby is getting enough? Thank you!

Quoting kajira:

How does she know she's not producing milk? Is her baby able to latch and nurse from tap? If she's not producing to a pump, that's not nessecarily an indication of supply, if baby's peeing and pooping but she can't get any milk fro pumping, that's actually fairly common.

kajira
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 9:47 PM

6-8 diapers in a day depending on how heavy they are.... 4 table spoons = 1 diaper, and poop counts as 2.

Quoting MrsWhite101610: Oh thanks. Ugh I didn't know any of this when I had my daughter, my doctor had me on a medication that traveled through breast milk so I wasn't able to breast feed for safety reasons. Anyway, I will tell her to try nursing and just watch for the diapers. Sorry these are silly questions but how often should she offer the boob/ for how long and how many diapers should she expect to know the baby is getting enough? Thank you!
Quoting kajira:

MrsWhite101610
by Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 9:49 PM
Thanks

Quoting kajira:

6-8 diapers in a day depending on how heavy they are.... 4 table spoons = 1 diaper, and poop counts as 2.

Quoting MrsWhite101610: Oh thanks. Ugh I didn't know any of this when I had my daughter, my doctor had me on a medication that traveled through breast milk so I wasn't able to breast feed for safety reasons.
Anyway, I will tell her to try nursing and just watch for the diapers. Sorry these are silly questions but how often should she offer the boob/ for how long and how many diapers should she expect to know the baby is getting enough? Thank you!

Quoting kajira:

audmom1218
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 9:57 PM
She should offer the breast at every wiggle, squirm, etc. then let baby nurse until they come off, burp and repeat on the other side.

Quoting MrsWhite101610: Oh thanks. Ugh I didn't know any of this when I had my daughter, my doctor had me on a medication that traveled through breast milk so I wasn't able to breast feed for safety reasons.

Quoting kajira:

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 10:51 PM
Look up galactagogues on Kellymom.com for both of you. Why does she think she's not producing milk? Diaper count is the accurate measure of what baby is taking in; not pump output or baby's behavior. Does she have PCOS, insufficient glandular tissue, or has she had breast surgery?
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 10:53 PM
There are very few medications that are unsafe while nursing. Doctors do not know this because they do not study human lactation or infant nutrition in medical school; they simply assume everything is unsafe. The best source for information on medication and breastfeeding is Dr. Thomas Hale's Infant Risk Hotline at 1-806-352-2519.
MrsWhite101610
by Member on Apr. 6, 2015 at 9:02 AM
Thank you

Quoting audmom1218: She should offer the breast at every wiggle, squirm, etc. then let baby nurse until they come off, burp and repeat on the other side.

Quoting kajira:

MrsWhite101610
by Member on Apr. 6, 2015 at 9:06 AM
The medication I was taking was actually on the TV after I had my daughter and said it was unsafe for during pregnancy and breastfeeding. I didn't know when I was pregnant not to take it because the doctor told me it was fine, so I think I might be lucky it didn't harm dd.

Quoting MusherMaggie: There are very few medications that are unsafe while nursing. Doctors do not know this because they do not study human lactation or infant nutrition in medical school; they simply assume everything is unsafe. The best source for information on medication and breastfeeding is Dr. Thomas Hale's Infant Risk Hotline at 1-806-352-2519.
MrsWhite101610
by Member on Apr. 6, 2015 at 9:08 AM
Thanks. She said nothing comes out? I'm not sure if she means just pumping or with nipple stimulation. I told her as soon as I got the first post to nurse constantly.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Look up galactagogues on Kellymom.com for both of you. Why does she think she's not producing milk? Diaper count is the accurate measure of what baby is taking in; not pump output or baby's behavior. Does she have PCOS, insufficient glandular tissue, or has she had breast surgery?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)