Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What hurt most?

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 5:25 AM
  • 22 Replies
I really want to give my son the BEST which is boobie milk! My milk finally came in today and pumping hurts so badly!

What hurts more breastfeeding or pumping?
Is there a way I can make pumping more comfortable for me?
If I wanted o try to breast feed my son how would I go about starting?

New mom! Never done this stuff before my son is 5 days old!
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 5:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Apr. 10, 2015 at 5:41 AM
will your son latch?
How often are you pumping?
Why are you pumping?

Breastfeeding is far easier then pumping!! I've done both and I wouldn't exclusively pump again unless I had no choice!!
jenimae1
by Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 5:45 AM
I have no idea if he will latch I've never tried!
I pump 15mins every 3-4 hours.
I wanted to pump because I feel really awkward and werid with the whole breastfeeding from the boob idea.

Pumping just hurts so badly:(

Quoting melindabelcher: will your son latch?
How often are you pumping?
Why are you pumping?

Breastfeeding is far easier then pumping!! I've done both and I wouldn't exclusively pump again unless I had no choice!!
Advilplease
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 5:50 AM
1 mom liked this
What hurts the most is being so close and having so much to say and watching you walk away
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Advilplease
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 5:51 AM
Neither hurt for me. I guess pumping did sometimes. But pumps aren't affective for me anymore. No milk comes out with the pump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Apr. 10, 2015 at 5:53 AM
If your going to pump you need to pump every 2 hours during the day and every three hours at night until he's about 6-8weeks old then you can go to pumping every 3 hours during the day and every four at night and that's where you will stay. No skipping session!
Having been there it was harder to pump. If I was going out for the day I had to bring baby, diaper bag, cooler and pump. Then find a place I could pump which is much harder then finding a place to nurse.
As baby was sleeping through the night I was still getting up to pump. As time went on my response to the pump lowered (which is normal) and I was using formula to fill in the gaps. There were times I had to let him cry so I could finish my pumping session. Going out alone was even harder. Then ds got mobile and trying to keep him safe and occupied and pumping and washing bottles and pump parts every 3hours and feeding him solids and washing that stuff I was over it! So I stopped pumping at 6months.

Pumping shouldn't hurt. Have you tried turning down the suction? Do you have the right size breast pieces?

I would let him latch and just see how he does and you do.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Apr. 10, 2015 at 7:37 AM
Pumping shouldn't be *painful* unless the flanges are the wrong size or the suction is too high. But I despise it. It takes too long, I always felt like it kind of burned and I'd sure rather just nurse the baby than watch it cry while I tried to pump for a bottle. I can sleep with the baby nursing so I'd say that's more comfortable than any pump. And while a nursing baby gets more efficient and quicker, your pump response actually gets harder to maintain and you'll have to pump longer and more often than that nursing baby who got quicker and spaces feeding out.

I give pumping moms a lot of credit. It takes a lot of dedication, time and commitment.
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Apr. 10, 2015 at 8:31 AM
I agree with Stacy and Melinda!^^^
What pump are you using? There are some t that have the nickname of nipple shredder because they are known to hurry more than they help.
gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 10, 2015 at 8:53 AM

1. Hurts more? Neither in my experience. The thing that actually *hurt* was the mastitis I got from a scratch on my nipple that got infected. Oh, and the really nasty case of gallstones I also got. That said: Pumping was a bigger nuisance than breastfeeding. MUCH bigger.

2. Why are you pumping at five days? At this point, really, better to be just on the breast. That said, what pump With some of them nothing will make it more comfortable because they're crappy pumps designed to drive moms to formula.

3. Put baby to breast. Really, that's it! Get baby to open WIDE... pull down on his chin if you must. Put the nipple in the mouth. Don't expect him to latch properly without your intervention.

Minedidn't latch till 14 days. We've seen other babies go far longer.

gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 10, 2015 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jenimae1: I have no idea if he will latch I've never tried!
Then time to try.
I pump 15mins every 3-4 hours.
You need to double that frequency. 15 minutes every two hours. Or you won't have enough.
I wanted to pump because I feel really awkward and werid with the whole breastfeeding from the boob idea.
And you had no issue with the whole pushing the baby from the vagina idea? **grin** The breast is solely designed for feeding babies. Not for anything else. Many cultures consider the iodea of the breast being a sex object to be "weird".. and a sign of sexual immaturity. If you look at it that way, then it doesn't become any weirder than any other bodily function.
Pumping just hurts so badly:(
Sounds like you got one of the crappy pumps, OR you have it turned too high. Start on the lowest setting and turn it up only as far as you can tolerate.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 8:57 AM
Babies were breastfed from the dawn of creation. Feeding directly from the breast is what tailors your milk to your son's specific needs in term of nutrients and antibodies. There are YouTube videos that show proper latching. Go to LLLI.org (La Leche League) and see if there is a group that meets near you; seeing other mothers nursing is very helpful. Exclusive pumping is very hard to maintain. It is so much easier just to nurse! Google "Find an IBCLC" ( Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant ); this is your go-to breastfeeding professional. Doctors do not study human lactation or infant nutrition in medical school; their information comes largely from pamphlets put out by the baby food / formula companies who are not interested in successful breastfeeding.

Read posts here and on Kellymom.com. Two books : " So That's What They're For " by Janet Tamaro and " The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding " from La Leche League. If you do decide to stay with the exclusive pumping, look up the EP group.

Get into bed with your baby, strip him down to his diaper and let him lay on your bare chest. This will stimulate your supply. When he starts rooting and opens his mouth wide, guide him to your nipple.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)