Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting a job...please help me feel better!

Posted by on May. 5, 2015 at 12:16 AM
  • 11 Replies
My ds is 6 months old. I have been a sahm since I was pg with him. My dh made a strong suggestion for me to find a job. We make it on his check but barely. I'm so scared and nervous. I just had an interview today. It sounds like I got the job. It's only 6pm to midnight but I'm so scared I'm gonna lose my supply. They are okay with me pumping on my break. But I've already almost lost my supply twice. Once due to him having rsv and then cause I kept forgetting to eat.

With my now 4 yr old dd I didn't find a job till she was a year old but kept nursing till she was 2.

I know we need the money and I know he'll adjust but I look at him and start crying. I haven't been away from him for more than an hour since I had him.

Please help me find the strength.
by on May. 5, 2015 at 12:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suomynona_amam
by on May. 5, 2015 at 12:56 AM
You can do it.
Pump every morning when you wake up and again before noon. Supply is much higher in the morning so you'll probably end up getting significantly more at each of those sessions than during your breaks. Oatmeal cookies and ground oats in smoothies did wonders for my pump output.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovemytwo88
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:45 AM
Is It every day? I work 3 days a week (usually 5-930) and my dd is 6 months old today. I pump once during my shift and have plenty of milk. Just dont go any longer than 3hrs between pumping. Nurse him right before you leave, then pump 2-3hrs later, then again 2-3hrs later.
It will be okay and you might enjoy having the time away just to be more than "Mommy".

I know it's hard. HUGS
lil_momma0911
by Member on May. 5, 2015 at 5:22 PM
Thanks ladies for the help!
I don't know about pumping in the morning because we co sleep and he eats pretty much all night. But from the sounds of it I will be working 4-5 days a week. But since it's only 6 hours I should only hafta pump once.
audmom1218
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 6:23 PM
Just pick a time before you get up and pump on one side while he eats from the other. Your supply is naturally highest in the morning and you want to take advantage of that! You may only need two oz while you're away if you nurse before you leave, bottle offered two to three hours later. And nurse as soon as you get home.

Quoting lil_momma0911: Thanks ladies for the help!
I don't know about pumping in the morning because we co sleep and he eats pretty much all night. But from the sounds of it I will be working 4-5 days a week. But since it's only 6 hours I should only hafta pump once.
kzoboe
by on May. 5, 2015 at 6:30 PM

Just make the best decision you can based on the info you have and your situation.  If things don't work out can you change your mind?  I hope so!  But I bet everything will be OK once everyone adjusts.  Congrats on finding work!  Enjoy your kiddos!

Cowgirl_Coyote
by Member on May. 5, 2015 at 7:24 PM
I went back to work soon after both of my babies were born and I still managed to nurse. Pump during your breaks and freeze your milk. Start pumping some now so that you can have some milk on reserve. Good luck. It will be hard at first but you can do it and it will get easier.
gdiamante
by Gina on May. 5, 2015 at 11:01 PM

You know who the MOST SUCCESSFUL long-term breastfeeding moms I've known are, in 15+ years in groups like these?

Full-time out-of-the-home working moms who clocked 40+ hours per week.

NOT THE SAHMs. 

If you keep to your pumping schedule you WILL NOT lose supply. 

Barlowgirl125
by Member on May. 6, 2015 at 11:22 AM
What I do is keep my cosleeping baby on one side only after midnight. Then when I pump in the morning the side baby didn't drink from produces a lot of milk for me. I get more out of that one side in the morning than I do from both sides when I pump three hours after a feeding/pumping other times during the day.

lil_momma0911
by Member on May. 6, 2015 at 2:28 PM
That's a good idea, thanks!

Quoting Barlowgirl125: What I do is keep my cosleeping baby on one side only after midnight. Then when I pump in the morning the side baby didn't drink from produces a lot of milk for me. I get more out of that one side in the morning than I do from both sides when I pump three hours after a feeding/pumping other times during the day.

lillybug222
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2015 at 2:48 PM
I pump on one side while DS nurses on the other -- every morning. I've done this with my last three babies. It works awesome! No extra time, even. I'm still on maternity leave, but when I work, I only pump once during the day (I teach), and then I nurse as soon as I get home!

Just be sure whoever is feeding the baby knows all about bottle feeding a breasfed baby. Look on kellymom.

You've got this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)