• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is wrong with our species?

Posted by on May. 5, 2015 at 12:25 AM
  • 38 Replies
That we make babies with anatomical malformations that make the simplest task-eating damn near impossible for moms to tolerate, and hard for them to get adequate nutrition? Yet if we ask a medical professional to correct the malformation we are mean parents for putting our child through pain for our comfort and are expected to resort to man-made inferior substitutes instead!?!?! (This was dhs friends wife doing the criticizing not a medical professional). Going on week 4 of horrendous latch and I find myself in tears at least once a day asking ds to please just open his mouth. He's definitely holding the nipple with his gums instead of using his tongue. We meet with the lc tomorrow. If we don't get a revision I am throwing in the towel. I hate what this is doing to me.
by on May. 5, 2015 at 12:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on May. 5, 2015 at 12:43 AM
2 moms liked this
Yes, formula and bottles became a quick fix for tongue ties and only recently have mothers demanded that the problem itself be fixed instead of brushed off. There are a ton of doctors who still refuse to acknowledge tongue ties, or acknowledge that tongue ties undermine and destroy the breastfeeding relationship, or the baby's long term health and mouth function. Baby can't latch? Baby isn't gaining? Mom in pain? Here's a bottle, that'll take care of it. And it's about EATING?!?

Can you skip all the crap with pediatricians and regular ENTs and go straight to one of the drs on the list? Does your state have its own tongue tie/lip tie group on fb? They can often suggest drs who were trained by the preferred providers. At the very least they can tell you who NOT to see.
audmom1218
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 12:48 AM
I'm seeing a midwife tomorrow. My pcp admitted she won't touch lip ties, I got squeezed in with the lc tomorrow to talk about that. The closest on the list is 5 hours away (longer considering traffic and traveling with two kids). If I don't get help tomorrow I will call them but I don't think I'll be able to make the trip until July.

Quoting mostlymaydays: Yes, formula and bottles became a quick fix for tongue ties and only recently have mothers demanded that the problem itself be fixed instead of brushed off. There are a ton of doctors who still refuse to acknowledge tongue ties, or acknowledge that tongue ties undermine and destroy the breastfeeding relationship, or the baby's long term health and mouth function. Baby can't latch? Baby isn't gaining? Mom in pain? Here's a bottle, that'll take care of it. And it's about EATING?!?

Can you skip all the crap with pediatricians and regular ENTs and go straight to one of the drs on the list? Does your state have its own tongue tie/lip tie group on fb? They can often suggest drs who were trained by the preferred providers. At the very least they can tell you who NOT to see.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on May. 5, 2015 at 1:09 AM
The dr that's on the preferred list nearest me is about 3 hours away but my state has a tongue tie fb group and is recommending another dr just over half an hour from me, this guy trained extensively w Dr Kotlow. I also read in out fb group about a mom seeing the same pediatrician as I do and she said the dr made her feel like a fool for bringing up lip ties. I won't even bring it up to her because I knew she has no valid experience in the area. If I get my dd revised I may or may not ever tell my pediatrician.

When I was in the hospital, my nipples were cracked and bleeding and I told the lc, who was an IBCLC, that I was worried about a lip tie and she went to check the baby, came back and said "no, she does not have a lip tie. But she is going to have a huge gap between her front teeth." :-/ i saw Dr. Ghaheri at a lecture on tongue ties and their effect in breastfeeding; he said she had a "ginormous lip tie" and thankfully, no tongue tie. After the first month or so that was all behind us and my dd's lip isn't terribly restricted, I have no pain and she's gaining really well, still at nearly 9 months. But I might take her to this dr for his opinion. I know he won't revise it unless it's necessary.

You might be able to find someone closer if you ask the right people. Like I said, I was in the Tongue Tie group on fb and found a seperate group for my state and have gotten referrals there.

Quoting audmom1218: I'm seeing a midwife tomorrow. My pcp admitted she won't touch lip ties, I got squeezed in with the lc tomorrow to talk about that. The closest on the list is 5 hours away (longer considering traffic and traveling with two kids). If I don't get help tomorrow I will call them but I don't think I'll be able to make the trip until July.

Quoting mostlymaydays: Yes, formula and bottles became a quick fix for tongue ties and only recently have mothers demanded that the problem itself be fixed instead of brushed off. There are a ton of doctors who still refuse to acknowledge tongue ties, or acknowledge that tongue ties undermine and destroy the breastfeeding relationship, or the baby's long term health and mouth function. Baby can't latch? Baby isn't gaining? Mom in pain? Here's a bottle, that'll take care of it. And it's about EATING?!?

stepconfused182
by Kelley on May. 5, 2015 at 6:31 AM
I thought your pcp already released the ties? I must be thinking of someone else. It's almost always the tongue tie that causes the pain... not the lip....how severe are the ties? If it were me, I would bypass everyone else and get him to the provider on the list. The LC is likely to get a tolerable latch during your visit, but replicating it at home is a whole other story, just because of the angle and technique. What state are you in?

Quoting audmom1218: I'm seeing a midwife tomorrow. My pcp admitted she won't touch lip ties, I got squeezed in with the lc tomorrow to talk about that. The closest on the list is 5 hours away (longer considering traffic and traveling with two kids). If I don't get help tomorrow I will call them but I don't think I'll be able to make the trip until July.

tryingfor7
by Member on May. 5, 2015 at 7:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Our world is def screwed up! The easy way out is good enough now days smh
Gl momma n don't listen to ignorant ppl
Cleo07
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:55 AM
2 moms liked this
One of the reasons is that historically midwives delivering at home in the old days kept one extremely sharp long pinkie nail. They would slice under the tongue and release ties that way. It was done automatically right at delivery on every baby. I'm talking about deliveries before doctors and hospitals.

I can also attest to the fact that human lactation is not covered at all in medical school (or at least in 97 when I graduated). I'm sure pediatric residents learned during their residency but not more than a few hours. I really do not understand why this lack of education is not addressed. Simply breastfeedibg for 6 months would save $40 billion a year in ear infections alone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
audmom1218
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this
See I don't find formula as the "easy way out". I mean if a quick snip of excess skin can save me tons of money and mean I don't have to get out of bed, boil water make a bottle then wash all of the dishes later on, constantly have to worry about packing enough when we leave for the day etc. I'm spoiled in that I know how easy this should be!!

Quoting tryingfor7: Our world is def screwed up! The easy way out is good enough now days smh
audmom1218
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 1:27 PM
She released the tongue two weeks ago but She admitted she didn't go very far and it may need further release, and that she would get me in to see the lc/midwife if I was still experiencing pain or if he was still having problems. Last week he was up four ounces from the week before but had 3 days with no poop diapers. This week he has had two days with only one poopy (but they were big). He still can't flange his lips out and we're still about 50/50 where half the time it hurts throughout the whole feeding (like an" Indian burn" sensation combined with pinching) and the other half of the time it's just a slight pinch after the initial latch.

Quoting stepconfused182: I thought your pcp already released the ties? I must be thinking of someone else. It's almost always the tongue tie that causes the pain... not the lip....how severe are the ties? If it were me, I would bypass everyone else and get him to the provider on the list. The LC is likely to get a tolerable latch during your visit, but replicating it at home is a whole other story, just because of the angle and technique. What state are you in?

Travelbugg
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2015 at 2:22 PM
Yikes! Where do you live?
The ENT my pedi recommended was booked up 2 weeks. I didn't want to wait so took an appointment with her colleague the next morning!!! And I was complaining bc I had to wait 3 days after getting a confirmation from the LC!!!!
tryingfor7
by Member on May. 5, 2015 at 4:58 PM
The easy way out is not taking care of the tie so baby can be best fed:):)

Quoting audmom1218: See I don't find formula as the "easy way out". I mean if a quick snip of excess skin can save me tons of money and mean I don't have to get out of bed, boil water make a bottle then wash all of the dishes later on, constantly have to worry about packing enough when we leave for the day etc. I'm spoiled in that I know how easy this should be!!

Quoting tryingfor7: Our world is def screwed up! The easy way out is good enough now days smh
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)