Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

preparing baby for a night away from mum...

Posted by on May. 7, 2015 at 2:41 PM
  • 11 Replies
Hello all!
My little boy is always fed (occasionally rocked then fed) to sleep by me and has never had a bottle and at 10 months old it seems a bit daft to introduce one. In October when he will be 15 months, we are getting married and would really like it to be just the 2 of us on our wedding night 😉 my parents are happy to take him but as he co sleeps and feeds all night to get to and stay asleep in already worrying about it especially as it will be a big and disruptive day for him. He has never had a sippy cup either but does drink water from an open cup or my cycling bottle, would a straw cup work in bed? Or is there anything else we can do in the next few months to make this work? Definitely not interested in cry it out and have visions of him screaming all night for my parents better he didn't understand why mummy isn't there 😞

Many thanks for your help
Becca
by on May. 7, 2015 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on May. 7, 2015 at 4:04 PM
You can pump milk and use a sippy cup. You can also get a shirt you have warn, or a stuffed animal, anything, and while you nurse have him hold tHat for comfort so that when you are gone he has a comfort item.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on May. 7, 2015 at 4:41 PM
I've always nursed my babies to sleep at night and for naps but amazingly they'd always sleep fine for someone else on the rare nights it was necessary. :-/
Vikingmum
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 5:17 PM
That's reassuring Stacy. He is very happy with my parents so hopefully it would be ok, but its a frequent waker without me there (will do 2 hours max for a nap but generally wakes every hour or less when something aside and will then do up to 5-6 hours with me to snuggle up to) so it is not just a question of getting him off once or twice sadly, though of course that may change in the next 5 months... He has never really seemed to pick a comfort item, he had favourite toys but not because they do fun stuff, usually making a noise than because they are snuggly but I can try 😉 apparently I was the same as a baby wanted nothing but boob!
mamatink7
by on May. 7, 2015 at 5:21 PM
Pumping is best idea I could give you. Get something that smells as you and let him snuggle with that while drinking your milk
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on May. 7, 2015 at 5:31 PM
My babies have been frequent night nursers. But if my husband or sister had to take one of my littles for the night they were fine. They went to sleep and stayed asleep and I was like WHAT THE HECK?!?!? your baby might not give a flying leap for the bottle as most of these babies who don't take bottles are nursing for the whole package: mom and milk. So milk in a bottle or sippy isn't close to the same thing. I had to leave my youngest when she was 5 months old, totally ebf, for an overnight with my oldest daughter's girl scout troop and left my dh with a bottle and all the instructions but she refused it and just went to sleep, a bit of fussing about it, but waited for me to get back and nurse like usual.

Quoting Vikingmum: That's reassuring Stacy. He is very happy with my parents so hopefully it would be ok, but its a frequent waker without me there (will do 2 hours max for a nap but generally wakes every hour or less when something aside and will then do up to 5-6 hours with me to snuggle up to) so it is not just a question of getting him off once or twice sadly, though of course that may change in the next 5 months... He has never really seemed to pick a comfort item, he had favourite toys but not because they do fun stuff, usually making a noise than because they are snuggly but I can try 😉 apparently I was the same as a baby wanted nothing but boob!
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on May. 7, 2015 at 5:35 PM
15 months is a frustrating age. They're usually bot verbal enough to tell you what they want and they're don't have the motor skills to do things they want to do. He may be a handful whether you get this milk part figured out or not. Or he might have a great and easy time with grandma and grandpa and you'll come back and feel like he likes them better!

Congrats on the upcoming wedding. It'll all work out. Your son will obviously realize grandma can't do the milk thing the way mom does it so he might just quickly accept the cuddles and sippy she is offering. :-)
gdiamante
by Gina on May. 7, 2015 at 10:43 PM

The most important thing is one you've already conquered: He knows the caregivers well. Babies and toddlers will do for others what they will never ever do for their parents. 

Vikingmum
by Member on May. 8, 2015 at 5:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Hopefully he will be fine with them.. My sister will be around too and she is really good with him and he did actually sleep on her when we last visited (they address in UK and we are in Norway so we don't see them alot but when we do it is for a week or 2 so he is very familiar with them). They are coming at the end of May so we are going to do a trial run date night!
LoveMyBug2013
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2015 at 9:38 AM

You may also try going out a few times before just for the evening.  Let Dad handle bedtime while you are out or both of you go out and leave your son with the grandparents.  Stay close by (like a local restaurant) so if it gets out of hand you can return easily.

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on May. 8, 2015 at 11:28 AM
Yep, I had a few of those....my oldest's favorite toys were cars,my second child was ok with his woody doll, my third didn't care for anything but me, but my 4th is the most independent and loves her baby dolls.

Quoting Vikingmum: That's reassuring Stacy. He is very happy with my parents so hopefully it would be ok, but its a frequent waker without me there (will do 2 hours max for a nap but generally wakes every hour or less when something aside and will then do up to 5-6 hours with me to snuggle up to) so it is not just a question of getting him off once or twice sadly, though of course that may change in the next 5 months... He has never really seemed to pick a comfort item, he had favourite toys but not because they do fun stuff, usually making a noise than because they are snuggly but I can try 😉 apparently I was the same as a baby wanted nothing but boob!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)