Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I breastfed my bottle fed baby...

Posted by on May. 7, 2015 at 10:26 PM
  • 7 Replies
So as many of you know we've been struggling with breastfeeding for 10 weeks now.. But this week I've nursed about 8 times... That's about the same amount of times I've nursed in 10 weeks... So way more than he's used to. I'm trying to get him back to breast. It seems like he's licking me now. It seems like he's trying to nurse. You think he's trying? Prefers it? It hurts so bad. Hopefully the two of us can work this out... I go see an IBCLC on Wednesday.
by on May. 7, 2015 at 10:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
gdiamante
by Gina on May. 7, 2015 at 10:47 PM

Yes, he's trying. And maybe prefers. Good luck with the IBCLC!

StaciF
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2015 at 11:03 PM
Oh I so hope the IBCLC can help!!! I'm cheering for you!!
Sisteract
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 11:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Good Luck!

LoveMyBug2013
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2015 at 9:33 AM

Good luck and hang in there!  Hopefully the LC will be able to help.

applesnbananas
by Member on May. 8, 2015 at 10:38 AM
Tuesday & Wednesday I nursed about 6 times total... Was engorged... Yesterday I nursed twice and pumped about 4 times and now I'm getting less milk than I had been gettin for 8 weeks. 😕 still enough to feed though. I usually got 5-8, now I'm lucky to get 5. I'm going to Whole Foods today to get mother love cream for my nipples... Guess I'll have to see what else I can find for boosting milk again. I hope to make lactation cookies today but not sure I'll have time. The trip to Whole foods is an hour away. Then shopping time, and I have to stop and get my moms Mother's Day gift, and hauling 2 kids around, still need to pump, and pack to go to my parents for the wknd. Leaving in 6 hours....

Quoting LoveMyBug2013:

applesnbananas
by Member on May. 8, 2015 at 10:48 AM
Well he's always hated the nipple shield... But he's allowing me to use it for about 5 mins now. Save the nipples 😁

Quoting Sisteract:

Good Luck!

LoveMyBug2013
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2015 at 9:25 PM

So there are a couple of things that could be going on.  First , you could have an over supply.  I found when I was pumping I would have much more than the baby took.  The reduction in supply could actually be a regulation to be more of what the baby needs. How often are you getting 5-8 ounces?  The average breast makes half an ounce an hour.  Baby normally eats one ounce an hour.  So if you are going 3 hours in between sessions, you should be getting around 3 ounces.  Once you go longer, that doesn't increase as much because you can only hold so much.  5-8 seems like a huge oversupply.

Another thing is that you are getting less when pumping because baby is actually taking out.  If you have a baby scale, you can check how much the baby gets by weighing before and after a feed (without changing the diaper in between).  This is not indicitive overall, but it will let you gauge how much he is taking in a particular feed. 

Again, in your case I think that the engorgement is oversupply.  You need to adapt to the baby's needs once he gets back to breast.

My recommendation would be nurse and then pump to comfort.  Give him a little bit of expressed milk only if he is screaming in hunger after a bit.

It takes awhile to get into the groove but it is possible.  DD and I are living proof.

Quoting applesnbananas: Tuesday & Wednesday I nursed about 6 times total... Was engorged... Yesterday I nursed twice and pumped about 4 times and now I'm getting less milk than I had been gettin for 8 weeks. 😕 still enough to feed though. I usually got 5-8, now I'm lucky to get 5. I'm going to Whole Foods today to get mother love cream for my nipples... Guess I'll have to see what else I can find for boosting milk again. I hope to make lactation cookies today but not sure I'll have time. The trip to Whole foods is an hour away. Then shopping time, and I have to stop and get my moms Mother's Day gift, and hauling 2 kids around, still need to pump, and pack to go to my parents for the wknd. Leaving in 6 hours....
Quoting LoveMyBug2013:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)