• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DS only likes one side

Posted by on May. 17, 2015 at 3:41 AM
  • 6 Replies
How do i get the supply back in the breast he doesn't like?
When i pump i can get 3 oz on the right but only 1 oz on the left.
I switch breasts and always start with the left but he just won't stay latched on but he will on the right.
by on May. 17, 2015 at 3:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2015 at 8:46 AM
It is not unusual for a baby to favor one side. Sometimes a chiropractic adjustment or cranio-sacral therapy will help this. If he has lip or tongue ties, he may be able to latch on one side better than the other. You may have letdown stronger on one side than the other.

All that being said, many babies nurse the whole time only on one side. You are producing plenty. As long as his diaper count is good, no worries. You may want to have a look at the section on ties at the top of the page, and at overactive letdown / oversupply on Kellymom.com.
wonderwomanT08
by Member on May. 17, 2015 at 8:54 AM
I had to always start on the side he didn't like and find out the one position he liked which was football hold. Got kind of difficult and awkward when he grew...lol. But it worked.I also milked myself a little so that it was right there for him to taste and I massaged my breast. That seemed to help a lot. It took a while. It was frustrating. I found out that he had a lip tie and that one side was easier than the other.

He still throughout his two years of nursing did not nurse as much on the left as he did the right and one breast was a couple sizes smaller than the other. Oh well. My biggest concern was his diaper count and growth. And he was always doing great. Some babies only nurse on one side.
RIPCORD
by Member on May. 17, 2015 at 8:57 AM
My youngest only liked one side for the first two months. I just kept trying on the other side and let her nurse until she stopped then put her on the aide she liked. Eventually she started nursing on both sides.
Travelbugg
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2015 at 2:38 PM
Welcome to my world!!!! I have twins and both favor the right. And yep, the right side makes 3x more and has a faster letdown. I pumped the left only between sessions for a few weeks to try and increase supply. And always started them on the left side first...when tandem feeding I put the hungrier twin of the left breast....I got it up a bit, but big ol righty still out produces and is still the favorite. I live a little lopsided. :p
gdiamante
by Gina on May. 17, 2015 at 3:20 PM

Even if he nursed both sides equally oyu'd likely see the same pump result. Don't worry about it. This is like being right or left handed.

Also, expect your output to drop. Normal is between half an ounce and two ounces TOTAL.

MorriganzMommy
by Member on May. 17, 2015 at 4:49 PM

My youngest prefered my right side at first and then changed it and prefered my left. Then it didn't matter once she got to be around 3 months. She only nursed on one each feeding then.

Now she likes the right, then the left. The left is a bit bigger so she likes to fall asleep with that one. Its all just their individual quirks. I think as long as he is spending time on your right then its no biggy. Maybe is your let down more on the left so is he pulling off because its too much to handle. I noticed my right comes out faster on my right then my left. Or is it the opposite, and your let down isn't fast enough on the left. Try seeing when he pulls off the left, how much is coming out when he is pulling off compared to the right. There may be a reason. But like I said. I have found that it is really common for babies to prefer one side. Just keep trying.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)