• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pedialyte and the breastfed baby

Posted by on May. 17, 2015 at 10:46 AM
  • 13 Replies
Anybody give their sick nurseling pedialyte? I trust my regular pedi, but not so much her partners. (And my regular doc was not working this weekend.)
My instincts say just nurse. This one said nurse if he wants to but give him a bottle of pedalyte as well.
Thoughts?

(Even though she commented that he does not seem dehydrated.)
by on May. 17, 2015 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suomynona_amam
by on May. 17, 2015 at 10:48 AM
I've never given a kid pedialyte. It's basically gatorade with a little less sugar.
I had a ff kid as well, and she was never close enough to dehydration to need it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VivaciousFaith
by on May. 17, 2015 at 10:57 AM
A few months ago I had a Dr recommend it over breastfeeding when my son had bronchiolitis. He was aroun 19-20 month old at the time. I never gave it to him. He was nursing less but more frequently. I wasn't worried about him getting dehydrated as much as he was nursing.
micheledo
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2015 at 11:04 AM

NO NO NO!!  JUST breastmilk.  Nothing better when baby is sick.  If breastfeedin there is absolutely NO reason for pedialite or other hydration.

Lynette
by on May. 17, 2015 at 11:08 AM
Pedialyte is completely unnessary for baby if they are accepting the breast. No antibodies or nutrients to be found in it. You were given bad advice.

Here is a link with more info http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/illness-surgery/baby-illness/
PinkButterfly66
by Member on May. 17, 2015 at 12:43 PM

I'd breast feed.  Pedialyte has artificial sweetener in it (Acesulfame potassium and sucrolose) unless you get the unflavored kind.  If your baby is nursing willingly, there's no need for pedialyte.

KylersMom8-16-7
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2015 at 12:44 PM
Nope never. Breast milk is the best thing for sick babies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Travelbugg
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2015 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep....that's what I thought too. Again MY doc I love, but everytime I see one of her partners the advice seems way old school and totally off. Grrr...

Quoting Lynette: Pedialyte is completely unnessary for baby if they are accepting the breast. No antibodies or nutrients to be found in it. You were given bad advice.

Here is a link with more info http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/illness-surgery/baby-illness/
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on May. 17, 2015 at 2:40 PM
I wouldn't give a breastfeeding child pedialyte. Breastmilk is nutrition, hydration and comfort. Pedialyte is nothing but hydration. Breastmilk is a clear winner there.
Rhodin
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2015 at 2:52 PM

The youngest kid I ever tried to give pedialyte to was 3 years old and not currently nursing, or eating anything else for that matter.  She didn't like it, even after her constipation was over and she was eating fruit and drinking water again.

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2015 at 6:09 PM
Nurse away. Pedialyte is not necessary for nursing babies.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)