Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When they are too stuffy to nurse? Need advice ASAP!

Posted by on May. 17, 2015 at 10:01 PM
  • 11 Replies
So now baby is feeling worse...as the doctor said he would...and he's acting like he wants to nurse, but he's too stuffy. He can't.
Now my panic is bc this is how my older son accidentally weaned. He had a cold, I gave him milk in a cup bc he was having so much trouble nursing, and he never went back to breast. I will just die if this happens twice!!!

So what should I do?
by on May. 17, 2015 at 10:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
audmom1218
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2015 at 10:10 PM
Breast milk up the nose!
shaddowchild
by Member on May. 17, 2015 at 10:18 PM
Have you tried clearing his nose with a aspirator before nursing? Also if you have a humidifier that will help soften the mucus so you can clear it out easier.
Travelbugg
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2015 at 10:38 PM
Yep done both. Not helping... :(

Quoting shaddowchild: Have you tried clearing his nose with a aspirator before nursing? Also if you have a humidifier that will help soften the mucus so you can clear it out easier.
thundersky
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2015 at 10:47 PM
3 moms liked this
Go into the bathroom and turn the hot water on in the shower and stay in there with baby while trying to nurse till it runs cold. That might help. Also suction out his nose while in the bathroom.

Quoting Travelbugg: Yep done both. Not helping... :(

Quoting shaddowchild: Have you tried clearing his nose with a aspirator before nursing? Also if you have a humidifier that will help soften the mucus so you can clear it out easier.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on May. 18, 2015 at 12:00 AM
Breastmilk drops in his nose, suction and more breastmilk. Steam up the bathroom. Hold him in a more upright position to nurse. Vick's infant Vapor Rub on the bottoms of his feet with socks.
Travelbugg
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2015 at 12:17 AM
Yeah the suction and vapor rub didn't help much (tried that last night.)
But the steamy bathroom got him to eat a little. Then I took him on the porch outside for the cool air which got him to eat more. I think I bought us a few hours...

Incidentally, what do you think they would do at the hospital? IV fluids? Doc said when we were there earlier to bring him back if he stopped nursing or was becoming dehydrated.... I was thinking as in he was lethargic and uninterested. I didn't think to ask about if he just physically couldn't nure bc of congestion...

Quoting MusherMaggie: Breastmilk drops in his nose, suction and more breastmilk. Steam up the bathroom. Hold him in a more upright position to nurse. Vick's infant Vapor Rub on the bottoms of his feet with socks.
gdiamante
by Gina on May. 18, 2015 at 12:32 AM

Yes, very likely they'd do an IV. Make sure you try the breastmilk in the nose; it's really good at clearing stuffiness.

sweetsmom_23
by New Member on May. 18, 2015 at 12:33 AM
I used the baby saline spray from arm and hammer. It helped push the mucous out.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on May. 18, 2015 at 9:38 AM

You're doing everything you can. I was going to suggest taking him outside if the air was cool and nurse in the most upright position you possibly can. At the hospital, they will assess his hydration status (dry mucous membranes, sunken fontanel, sunken eyes, dry lips, lack of wet diapers would indicate dehydration). This is something you can assess at home yourself. Is he still wetting diapers?  

Quoting Travelbugg: Yeah the suction and vapor rub didn't help much (tried that last night.) But the steamy bathroom got him to eat a little. Then I took him on the porch outside for the cool air which got him to eat more. I think I bought us a few hours... Incidentally, what do you think they would do at the hospital? IV fluids? Doc said when we were there earlier to bring him back if he stopped nursing or was becoming dehydrated.... I was thinking as in he was lethargic and uninterested. I didn't think to ask about if he just physically couldn't nure bc of congestion...
Quoting MusherMaggie: Breastmilk drops in his nose, suction and more breastmilk. Steam up the bathroom. Hold him in a more upright position to nurse. Vick's infant Vapor Rub on the bottoms of his feet with socks.

Travelbugg
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2015 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this
He is. After the shower steam and front porch meals he slept a few hours, nursed sometime overnight pretty well considering. He skipped his breakfast meal, but again I think the fresh air on our walk to the pedi office helped bc he ate a bit more there.
He's down in frequency and amount but still eating and wetting enough that I guess we are good for now.

Thanks ladies. Doc said the steam or cool air were the 2 best choices and she was proud of me for trying it! I love that lady. :)

Quoting stepconfused182:

You're doing everything you can. I was going to suggest taking him outside if the air was cool and nurse in the most upright position you possibly can. At the hospital, they will assess his hydration status (dry mucous membranes, sunken fontanel, sunken eyes, dry lips, lack of wet diapers would indicate dehydration). This is something you can assess at home yourself. Is he still wetting diapers?  

Quoting Travelbugg: Yeah the suction and vapor rub didn't help much (tried that last night.) But the steamy bathroom got him to eat a little. Then I took him on the porch outside for the cool air which got him to eat more. I think I bought us a few hours... Incidentally, what do you think they would do at the hospital? IV fluids? Doc said when we were there earlier to bring him back if he stopped nursing or was becoming dehydrated.... I was thinking as in he was lethargic and uninterested. I didn't think to ask about if he just physically couldn't nure bc of congestion...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)