Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Increasing my Milk supply

Posted by on May. 17, 2015 at 11:52 PM
  • 10 Replies

I've been breastfeeding since day one. My son is three months but my supply isn't seeming to increase with his appetite. He feeds every three hours and we had thrush a couple weeks ago which cause me to pump more. Now we are back latching on it seems my supply decreased alot. I've tried oatmeal which seems to help some but i really don't like it. I've read coconut oil helps but haven't started taking them because i wasn't sure if it was safe. What can i do? Will the coconut oil work and is it safe?breastfeeding

by on May. 17, 2015 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2015 at 11:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Coconut oil is perfectly safe.
Your son is at a huge growth spurt. It is normal for him to nurse seemingly 24/7 right now. If he is going through 6-8 diapers every 24 hours, and having soft poop when it happens, all is well. The more you nurse, the more you make. Do you have his complete weight history, including lowest weight after birth? Was he checked for lip and tongue ties?
sweetsmom_23
by New Member on May. 18, 2015 at 12:04 AM
2 moms liked this
I took the fenugreek pills and drank the mothers milk tea. Worked like a charm
anotherandree
by on May. 18, 2015 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Three months is growth spurt time. Remember it is for a short time so keep going! You can do it! :)
gdiamante
by Gina on May. 18, 2015 at 12:31 AM
1 mom liked this

How;s the dipe count? If you're changing about five dipes a day, supply is perfect and there's nothing you need to do. He's expected to be on the breast constantly right now. Make sure you're not restricting him to every three hours but letting him nurse on demand (at every wiggle); mom-led timing can be deadly to supply.

mylilprincesses
by Member on May. 18, 2015 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Increase your nursing
Skin to skin
Steel cut oats work best
Brewers yeast
Fennel
Flaxseed
Fenugreek
Mother's milk tea

He could be going through a growth spurt
crazy_132505
by New Member on May. 19, 2015 at 11:03 PM

I don't have a completed weight history on hand. Just remember from visit to visit. Hes not having any issues gaining that i know of. And no lip or tongue tie issues neither. I think i may try the mothers milk tea that a few ladies recommend. I'm glad that i now know hes going through a growth spurt because i just thought maybe he wasn't getting anything. Thanks so much ladies!

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on May. 20, 2015 at 9:30 AM
If he's gaining, your supply is fine. Do you know birth weight and current weight? The absolute best thing you can do is let him nurse as often and as long as he wants. You don't want to increase your supply beyond his demand, unless you need to donate milk.
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on May. 20, 2015 at 5:50 PM
If he is gaining weight and you're changing enough diapers, there's no need to do anything to increase your supply. Are you pumping? Is that the reason why you think your supply is low? What you can pump is not an indication of what your baby can get directly from the breast. Keep him at the breast as much as he demands and you will make exactly what he needs.
melindabelcher
by mel on May. 21, 2015 at 8:16 AM
If it's coming out (wet/poopy diapers) then it has to be going in!
If he's gained about 3lbs from his lowest weight then his gain is perfect meaning he is definitely getting enough!

Trying to increase supply when there isn't a supply problem can lead to oversupply and that can be very difficult for baby and mom.
crazy_132505
by New Member on May. 22, 2015 at 8:04 PM

He weight is at a stand still which is 13 lbs since his last doctors visit two weeks ago. And he has about five wet diapers a day and one poopy diapers every other day. I'm pumping occasionally but mainly latching on. i try to only pump when he is with grandparents.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)