Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help ladies!

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 11:02 AM
  • 4 Replies
So I've been using the shield for about 3 weeks now aND I've tried to BF without and I think my nipples are too small and he can't latch on plus they are always raw from BF. How do I BF without the shield?? And what works best for raw nipples
by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Aug. 8, 2015 at 12:26 PM
Has the baby been examined by a knowledgeable professional for a tongue tie? In the mean time THE best treatment for sore nipples is your own milk, expressed on the nipple and allowed to air dry. You can also use a little lanolin or coconut oil. Is baby gaining ok? How is the total 24 hour diaper count, and how may poops?
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Aug. 8, 2015 at 12:29 PM
This kellymom article covers all things nipple shield related, including how to wean from nipple shields:

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/wean-shield/#weaning
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 3:21 PM
Yes, definitely have a look at the section on lip and tongue ties in our resources sticky. Ties are quite common, run in families, can affect breastfeeding, but are easily diagnosed and corrected by the properly trained pediatric dentist or ENT.
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Aug. 9, 2015 at 4:46 PM
Many times, a nipple shield is given to a mom rather than addressing the issues with latching. The shield can be like putting a band aid on a gushing wound. It can mask the underline problem that can get even worse if not addressed, especially if it is a posterior tongue tie. A PTT can affect the baby's ability to properly transfer the milk and eventually lead to lower supply and poor weight gain. It doesn't happen with all babies with PTT, but I wouldn't risk it. I didn't know about PTT with my second. We were lucky that it didn't affect his weight gain, but his teeth are horrible like mine. My PTT is worse than his.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)