Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tongue/Lip Tie Revision

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:18 PM
  • 6 Replies

We had an appointment with an ENT today to get my son's lip and tongue tie revised. He is currently six days old. Overall nursing is going much better. We've nursed three times and he is getting a much deeper latch and it seems to me that he is getting more milk at once than before the revision. 

I'm concerned because it seems like it hurts him to nurse. He keeps pulling off and whimpering before relatching to nurse. I guess it makes sense after that type of revision, but I hate seeing him this way. 

Is there anything I can do? How long does the discomfort last?

by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Sep. 25, 2015 at 2:00 PM
That's normal and he will be sore for a week or so. Make sure you are doing the stretches! Nursing will be a comfort to him and your milk will act as a natural pain reliever.
novella0708
by Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 2:10 PM

Stretches? They didn't say anything about doing stretches. 

Quoting stepconfused182: That's normal and he will be sore for a week or so. Make sure you are doing the stretches! Nursing will be a comfort to him and your milk will act as a natural pain reliever.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Sep. 25, 2015 at 2:19 PM

Oh yes, it's SUPER important to prevent reattachment. Here's a good link that will help you from one of the top frenotomy surgeons in the country. http://www.drghaheri.com/aftercare/

Quoting novella0708:

Quoting stepconfused182: That's normal and he will be sore for a week or so. Make sure you are doing the stretches! Nursing will be a comfort to him and your milk will act as a natural pain reliever.

audmom1218
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Agree. Definitely do the stretches! I did then every diaper change. I would treat like teething pain (ice cubes or frozen cold rags to suck on)
novella0708
by Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 7:05 PM

Thank you! I am so glad you mentioned that. I didn't even think about the possibilty of reattachment. I definitely don't want that to happen. 

Quoting stepconfused182:

Oh yes, it's SUPER important to prevent reattachment. Here's a good link that will help you from one of the top frenotomy surgeons in the country. http://www.drghaheri.com/aftercare/

Quoting novella0708:

tiredmomfor2
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:43 PM
My DD had her upper lip clipped on Wednesday. She had a fat lip and you could tell it was sore that day and the next. She seems fine today though.
Latching and nursing well, and all the swelling is gone.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)