Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

at what point do you worry?

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:36 PM
  • 10 Replies

at what point do you become concerned with weight gain?  looking at the twins they are proportionate, growing, appropriate wet/poop diapers, love to eat and hitting milestones.  But Charlie - who has always been the smaller more petite one was 5lb5oz at his lowest birth weight and at 10.5 months is around 13lbs10oz.  He's also started to lose a few ounces over the last month.

just looking at him and knowing how he eats and his milestones i wouldn't be concerned.  but i just want to make sure i'm being proactive.  thanks for your advice ;)

by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Sep. 26, 2015 at 12:30 AM
I would be concerned that he's having milk transfer issues. I'm trying to remember. Does he have ties?
melindabelcher
by mel on Sep. 26, 2015 at 7:42 AM
Weight loss doesn't ever sit well for me!
StaciF
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2015 at 8:23 AM
We had him evaluated by a provider on the list and he does have an upper lip tie. If he's been gaining weight up until he's been mobile what has changed? I mean has the tie always caused trouble but he has been able to gain weight or is it now starting to cause issues?

Quoting aehanrahan: I would be concerned that he's having milk transfer issues. I'm trying to remember. Does he have ties?
StaciF
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2015 at 8:25 AM
Yeah me either. I don't know what to do :(

Quoting melindabelcher: Weight loss doesn't ever sit well for me!
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Sep. 26, 2015 at 8:29 AM
How much is he eating in terms of solids? What was his weight at 6 months and did anything change in the last month when he started losing? I don't usually look at a baby's weight until after the exam because it tends to cloud judgment. If all other aspects are normal and he doesn't have any underlying health conditions (cardiac, endocrine, tongue ties), then I wouldn't be overly concerned.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Sep. 26, 2015 at 8:33 AM
Why wasn't he revised? Once energy expenditure starts exceeding metabolic needs, you'll see weight stalling and loss because milk transfer is inadequate. Before, because of lack of mobility, he was probably right at that sweet spot where his intake was meeting needs for minimal growth.

Quoting StaciF: We had him evaluated by a provider on the list and he does have an upper lip tie. If he's been gaining weight up until he's been mobile what has changed? I mean has the tie always caused trouble but he has been able to gain weight or is it now starting to cause issues?

Quoting aehanrahan: I would be concerned that he's having milk transfer issues. I'm trying to remember. Does he have ties?
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Sep. 26, 2015 at 8:35 AM
Scratch this. What you're seeing is very typical for babies with unrevised ties. That's why it's so highly recommended to release them early on when diagnosed.

Quoting stepconfused182: How much is he eating in terms of solids? What was his weight at 6 months and did anything change in the last month when he started losing? I don't usually look at a baby's weight until after the exam because it tends to cloud judgment. If all other aspects are normal and he doesn't have any underlying health conditions (cardiac, endocrine, tongue ties), then I wouldn't be overly concerned.
StaciF
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2015 at 8:45 AM
That would make sense. Thank you!

Quoting stepconfused182: Scratch this. What you're seeing is very typical for babies with unrevised ties. That's why it's so highly recommended to release them early on when diagnosed.

Quoting stepconfused182: How much is he eating in terms of solids? What was his weight at 6 months and did anything change in the last month when he started losing? I don't usually look at a baby's weight until after the exam because it tends to cloud judgment. If all other aspects are normal and he doesn't have any underlying health conditions (cardiac, endocrine, tongue ties), then I wouldn't be overly concerned.
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Sep. 26, 2015 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Kelley said exactly what I was thinking, but in better words since she's a doctor and IBCLC.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Sep. 26, 2015 at 6:04 PM
Quoting StaciF: We had him evaluated by a provider on the list and he does have an upper lip tie. If he's been gaining weight up until he's been mobile what has changed? I mean has the tie always caused trouble but he has been able to gain weight or is it now starting to cause issues?

Lip ties are almost always accompanied by posterior tongue ties. I would say he is not transferring enough milk. Have a look at the section on ties in our resources sticky. Do you have an SNS you can use with your pumped milk so he can receive more with the same effort?

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)