Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oh my aching sore nipples

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 2:34 AM
  • 4 Replies
My ds is 18 months and still nursing. He hasn't been nursing any more than he had been previously. He's not teething since he got in all his canine teeth. I don't think I have thrush as they don't itch, aren't bright pink, neither one of us has been on antibiotics or has a yeast infection. What could be causing sore achey nipples/breasts? No way to be pregnant either. He latches on and there's instant pain, kind of like a newborn latching. He opens wide, and doesn't just pop off when he's done. The pain goes away, but then comes back after he's done and they then throb for a while. If I'm wearing a bra, they're fine. If I go without one, anything touching my nipples makes them be painful. I'm not engorged and it's not hormonal as this has been going on for weeks and thru my period.

Sorry if this seems scatterbrained. I'm just totally stumped. Anyone have any ideas?
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 2:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mugglemama
by Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 2:48 AM
I had the same problem when my 4 y/o dd was nursing it was so painful I just wanted her to get off me. Turns out it was a yeast infection which was weird because she had no signs of thrush at all. I wasn't itching either. But man just having something brush up against them or water from shower hurt so bad. Drying off with a towel was awful. With my twins I've had the same thing more times than I can count. Since they were born last October, I've dealt with it at least once a month for a week at least. I used gentian violet and some essential oils and it took care of it quickly. That shooting pain is excruciating especially when they're latched on and nursing. Little teeth don't help either. My BFF had the same pain while bf'ing her last dd. turns out she had a cold sore on one side and had to stop nursing on that side until it healed. Thankfully she caught it before her daughter got it too.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Oct. 8, 2015 at 7:09 AM
Could it be cause by the "drag" of nursing a heavier toddler, with the teeth? I did find that I had to start propping up my bigger babies again to the didn't pull down.

Otherwise you ruled out my other guesses: ovulation (do you nfp? Maybe ovulation hadn't returned with your period before?), pregnancy, teething, thrush.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:01 AM
It could be thrush. I would treat for that. Also may need a pillow under her head while nursing.
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Oct. 8, 2015 at 2:17 PM
Quoting mostlymaydays: Could it be cause by the "drag" of nursing a heavier toddler, with the teeth? I did find that I had to start propping up my bigger babies again to the didn't pull down.

Otherwise you ruled out my other guesses: ovulation (do you nfp? Maybe ovulation hadn't returned with your period before?), pregnancy, teething, thrush.

It's not a dragging teeth type of pain. I keep having him relatch a couple times if it feels like any of his teeth are on there. I doubt it's ovulation since it's been happening for a few weeks now, and I've been having my period for 5 months now. It hasn't lasted the whole time. We kinda do nfp, but more intense. lol We just haven't done anything since the day he was conceived. Sooo, definitely not pregnant. I'm going to look further into thrush. I'm hoping it's not that as I've had every other thing out there almost, besides thrush.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)