Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Clucking...

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:43 PM
  • 3 Replies

My baby girl is now 2 month old and our nursing relationship is going well! However her clucking has gotten worse. Is it possible for a lip tie to cause a more disturbed latch as the child gets older? It doesn't cause any pain to speak of, but it can be uncomfortable at times, and I am constantly trying to readjust her latch! What are my options as far as this goes? Should I get it clipped, and if so would I speak with our family Dr first? 

She is gaining well so I don't think its adversely affecting her health, but I also don't know if that is because of my over active let down. She doesn't have to suckle much before I just start pooring. I read that an over active let down alone can cause the clucking noises and a break in the suction. But she clucks no matter what. And she has an obviously severe lip tie. 

Also I am curious if anyone had an issue getting their supply adjusted. She nurses all the time and then she will suddenly go a day where she sleeps 2-3 hr stretches. This causes me to be come seriously engorged, leak terribly, and super sore. Then the next day she will go back to nursing all the time. Or she will nurse constantly during the morning and then suddenly take an hour nap amd I will become super full and leak like crazy! I hadn't had to where a bra (24/7 day and night) or use breast pads for the last three kiddos. And now suddenly I have to or else I make a mess because she is so NOT on a schedule LOL I feel like she does it on purpose and then laughs as milk starts running down my legs LOL 

My other daughter had a lip tie as well, we had a nightmare of a time nursing! It eventually got better as time went on. She also fell and split her lip tie around 6 months which greatly improved her latch. Ironically none of my boys had lip ties. LOL 

Here is baby girl! 

by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:54 PM
Most lip ties are accompanied by posterior tongue ties, which can be a bit tricky to diagnose. Are you having any pain when she latches? Right now you definitely have an oversupply which is keeping her weight gain up. Ties are hereditary. I would have a look at the section on ties in our resources sticky. There are links to articles, pictures and a list of reputable providers by state who revise ties. As for supply regulation, the big one happens around four months. Milk production tends to increase and become more efficient with subsequent babies, often to the point of overactive letdown / oversupply. Reclined nursing should help : you lean back, she goes tummy-to-tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple.

Growth occurs during sleep. What you're experiencing in that regard with her sleep patterns is entirely normal.
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Oct. 9, 2015 at 2:35 AM
She is precious!!! You are right, clocking can be from oal and/or a tie (lip or tongue). It could be from both in this case. What are uou doing about the oal?
audmom1218
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2015 at 7:53 AM

Mobile Photo

Go Pack go!

Ds still sputters and coughs from my oal from time to find. By accident I found that a low carb diet curbs my oal symptoms and has been wy more effective at helping his gas and spitting up than block feeding and reclined nursing alone. Ds still chokes even after his tongue tie wa released.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)