Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Quit breastfeeding to lose weight?

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 2:43 PM
  • 25 Replies

I went to the doctors today for numb feet. Well apparently I have pinched nerves in my lower back (probably clear from when I had my baby, just starting to act up). Well I was told to lose weight and do core exercises in order to help the situation. Here is the deal... I always get stuck around 148 (5'5) while breastfeeding and no matter what I do nothing changes, but when I do quit breastfeeding (2 previous babies) it is much easier to drop weight. She reccomended I quit breastfeeding to correct this. My baby is 10 months, in this situation would you quit?

by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 2:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rachel216
by Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 2:46 PM
Personally I would. HOWEVER this is a pretty personal decision and I'm pretty lucky if I make it past 4months with only breastfeeding my kids. Hope it all works out!
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 2:47 PM
Not at all. You would have to put the baby on formula. Look at what you're eating, go for lean proteins, vegetables and other whole foods, no prepared foods, junk foods, soda or juice. NO white carbohydrates. More exercise. Have your thyroid checked. I would run from this doctor, quite frankly.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 2:47 PM
I would also seek chiropractic care.
Indy3000
by Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 3:00 PM

I follow basically a paleo diet, mostly fruit, veggies, some meats, some nuts, no soda/sugar/bread ect. The whole formula thing is why I kind of want to say forget it, at least til I am ready to wean (and baby is too, at least tile 12months). With exercise i run around constantly and yardwork everyday, so I guess I could add in more, it is just hard when my average sleep is about 4 hours a night... I didn't think about getting my thyroid checked so maybe I will go back. How do they test that?

Quoting MusherMaggie: Not at all. You would have to put the baby on formula. Look at what you're eating, go for lean proteins, vegetables and other whole foods, no prepared foods, junk foods, soda or juice. NO white carbohydrates. More exercise. Have your thyroid checked. I would run from this doctor, quite frankly.

Indy3000
by Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 3:01 PM

This is my longest breastfed baby so I keep telling myself that if I wean at least I had that... I just really hate formula

Quoting rachel216: Personally I would. HOWEVER this is a pretty personal decision and I'm pretty lucky if I make it past 4months with only breastfeeding my kids. Hope it all works out!

rachel216
by Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 3:15 PM
Quoting Indy3000:

This is my longest breastfed baby so I keep telling myself that if I wean at least I had that... I just really hate formula

Quoting rachel216: Personally I would. HOWEVER this is a pretty personal decision and I'm pretty lucky if I make it past 4months with only breastfeeding my kids. Hope it all works out!

yea formula is pretty gross..but you still gotta put your health into the equation. Could this cause permanent damage? Will you have to have surgery things like that. Also to answer your question about thyroid testing its just a blood draw
Indy3000
by Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 3:21 PM

Quoting rachel216:
Quoting Indy3000:

yea formula is pretty gross..but you still gotta put your health into the equation. Could this cause permanent damage? Will you have to have surgery things like that. Also to answer your question about thyroid testing its just a blood draw

it's not that it is gross problem (even though it is!), my other two did not take so well and always had belly problems with all different kinds but then again they were much younger. Yea that is what the doctor said, that sometimes you need to put yourself first... And I don't but if this problem gets worse I guess it could cause more problems

rachel216
by Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 3:27 PM
Quoting Indy3000:

Quoting rachel216:
Quoting Indy3000:

it's not that it is gross problem (even though it is!), my other two did not take so well and always had belly problems with all different kinds but then again they were much younger. Yea that is what the doctor said, that sometimes you need to put yourself first... And I don't but if this problem gets worse I guess it could cause more problems

the only issue I really have with formula is the smell and god knows what it taste like lol! Parenting is tough. You wanna make all the best choices and do everything the "right" way or what you know is the best choice for your baby and sometimes we can't. Its always a challage. But in this case I'd take the advice of the professional over anyone here on cm. Maybe get a second opinion if you can?
StaciF
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 3:36 PM
That's terrible advice for you and baby!! Seek chiropractic care before stopping breastfeeding! I see a chiropractor weekly during and after my pregnancies - I'm about your size (5'6 143) and nursing twins - I know what you mean about not losing weight till you are done nursing (I'm usually 127-133) but I genuinely think there are some better options with exercise and chiropractic care before weaning
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Oct. 26, 2015 at 3:48 PM
Depending on your frame size, 148 lbs may not be overweight. I would look into doing the exercises or other things before weaning my baby. The exercise may help you loose weight and fix your pinched neve at the same time.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)