Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Supplements for breastfeeding on your period

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 10:46 AM
  • 8 Replies
I looked on Kelly Mom and found the following information about the supplements I have :
The recommended calcium supplement dosage is between 500 mg calcium/250 mg magnesium and 1500 mg calcium/750 mg magnesium (the higher dosage is generally more effective). 
For Evening Primrose Oil 500 mg per day has been suggested for breastfeeding moms with sore nipples during ovulation; 1000 mg 3 times a day for PMS 

It's a pretty wide range here so I'm just wondering if you have taken this stuff, what dose did you take? I'm having very sore nipples during ovulation and my periods are really crampy and heavy. I'm even having spotting and heavy cramping during ovulation which is a first for me. I also have quite a supply dip.
I have nursed 2 others on my period and honestly I ended up giving up too early. I made it to about 14 months with my two boys and I just didn't want to deal with it anymore. I don't want to give up so easily this time. I am determined to let her wean herself. I just can't stand all the symptoms that go with a menstrual cycle. Ugh!
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Oct. 29, 2015 at 11:03 AM
My cramps stopped after I switched from tampons to a cup. I also used an essential oil blend with vitex and Clary Sage to help with my PMS symptoms and cramps. I have never dealt with the sore nipples our dip in supply.
LittleRed80
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 11:20 AM
I usually don't use tampons. I did talk to my gynecologist about the cup and she said she didn't think it would be a good choice for me because of the cramping and heavy flow. She said it could encourage clotting. Now I can't quite remember the explanation of why it would encourage clotting, but I remember it making sense at the time. Plus, I am a little tilted. I can even reach my own cervix, so I'm not sure I'd ever be able to place it correctly.
I'm mainly concerned with the sore nipples. It is really really uncomfortable. It makes me want to cut back on nursing,whixh would not be good. My supply dips and she wants to nurse even more.

Quoting aehanrahan: My cramps stopped after I switched from tampons to a cup. I also used an essential oil blend with vitex and Clary Sage to help with my PMS symptoms and cramps. I have never dealt with the sore nipples our dip in supply.
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Oct. 29, 2015 at 11:27 AM
I had a super heavy flow with lots of clots before I switched to the cup. Now I only have one super heavy day rather than 2-3 with light spotting the ready of the week. Have you considered cloth pads?
The supplements should help with the other issues. I think it is really a trial and error thing to find what works for you. The oil blend that I use is doTerra's Clary calm.
LittleRed80
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 11:32 AM
I'm not very familiar with using essential oils. Do you ingest it or apply them to your skin?

Quoting aehanrahan: I had a super heavy flow with lots of clots before I switched to the cup. Now I only have one super heavy day rather than 2-3 with light spotting the ready of the week. Have you considered cloth pads?
The supplements should help with the other issues. I think it is really a trial and error thing to find what works for you. The oil blend that I use is doTerra's Clary calm.
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Oct. 29, 2015 at 11:35 AM
It is a topical blend. I put it on my stomach. The directions say to put it on your abdomen, chest, or back of neck.

Quoting LittleRed80: I'm not very familiar with using essential oils. Do you ingest it or apply them to your skin?

Quoting aehanrahan: I had a super heavy flow with lots of clots before I switched to the cup. Now I only have one super heavy day rather than 2-3 with light spotting the ready of the week. Have you considered cloth pads?
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 1:31 PM
I also had to be careful to avoid sugar, salt and caffeine; otherwise, flow and cramps were wicked.
LittleRed80
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 4:18 PM
I know caffeine is one of my biggest problems. I rely on it much too heavily because I still don't get much sleep at night.

Quoting MusherMaggie: I also had to be careful to avoid sugar, salt and caffeine; otherwise, flow and cramps were wicked.
kgbm13
by Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 5:12 PM

I too use the cup and love it,  I have one heavy day I have to change it before 12 hour mark.  I love my cup.  As for tilted, I am a well and have no issues placing it.  There is a trick though I found to push extra air behind the cup out and get it to vacuum to the cervix.  

As for helping milk I use doterra clearycalm roller mix of essential oils and fennel on my chest.  Mid cycle t likes to cluster feed

Quoting LittleRed80: I usually don't use tampons. I did talk to my gynecologist about the cup and she said she didn't think it would be a good choice for me because of the cramping and heavy flow. She said it could encourage clotting. Now I can't quite remember the explanation of why it would encourage clotting, but I remember it making sense at the time. Plus, I am a little tilted. I can even reach my own cervix, so I'm not sure I'd ever be able to place it correctly. I'm mainly concerned with the sore nipples. It is really really uncomfortable. It makes me want to cut back on nursing,whixh would not be good. My supply dips and she wants to nurse even more.
Quoting aehanrahan: My cramps stopped after I switched from tampons to a cup. I also used an essential oil blend with vitex and Clary Sage to help with my PMS symptoms and cramps. I have never dealt with the sore nipples our dip in supply.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)