Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Brand new pump user - tips please

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 7:16 PM
  • 4 Replies
Ok, I've never used even seen one outside the lady at WIC showing me. Thankfully, she seemed really knowledgeable. Honestly, they weird me out. I'd much rather him just do it, but I want to go back to work soon.

So, please I would love some tips for a brand new user. Thank you.
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 7:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
amberNewman0213
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 7:28 PM
What pump? I had a medela double electric one that my insurance paid for? Have u called your insurance to see if they will pay for u to have one yourself?

Are u wanting to exclusively pump? Otherwise when baby's with you nurse on the breast. And when he's away pump at least every 3-4 hours and provide 1oz of milk per hour that he is away from u.
tamra07
by Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 7:33 PM
No insurance which is one reason I went through WIC. It's an Ameda. Definitely not exclusively pumping. Just enough for the hours I work.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 8:35 PM
Read "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" on Kellymom.com. There is information on normal pump output and paced bottlefeeding procedure listed. I believe there is an article on the same site called "Working and Breastfeeding".

Remind yourself as you pump that you are providing the absolute best for your baby, and that no one can do this better than you. Keep a picture of your baby and perhaps an article of his clothing or one of his receiving blankets with you.
melindabelcher
by mel on Oct. 29, 2015 at 8:37 PM

For while youre working:

Look up hands on pumping it shows you how to maximize your pumping output. 

Ideally starting about 2 weeks before you return to work you will pump first thing in the morning every morning and store in 2-3oz increments. 

Once you start working you will continue pumping first thing in the morning. Nurse just before you and baby seperate and you pump every 2-3 hours at work and nurse on pick up. (baby shouldn't be fed in the 1.5-2 hours before you get there)

What you pump monday is sent on tuesday. Tuesdays milk is sent on Wednesday etc until friday where you put that milk in the freezer and the oldest freezer milk is sent on monday. 

Baby is sent with 1-1.25 oz of milk per hr of seperation and fed in 2-3oz bottles every 2-3 hours. (ie in a 8 hour shift you could send 2 3oz bottles and 1 2 oz bottles for a total of 8 ounces)

Print off bottle feeding a breastfed baby guidelines off the kellymom website and hand them to the caregiver. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)