Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is augmentin safe to take while breastfeeding?

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 3:26 AM
  • 6 Replies
Hi! I was wondering if it is safe to take Amoclan ( augmentin) antibiotics while breastfeeding? My dentist said it isn't safe, but I read that it is. So I started taking it and my DD is pooping more often than before, could this be a coincidence or side effect? Should I continue taking it if is affecting my DD? Please help me know what to do
by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 3:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 9:06 AM
It's fine. It's often given directly to babies. Just take some probiotic yourself between doses of the Augmentin and give some to your baby. You can open a capsule, mix the powder with a few drops of breastmilk and put the paste on your nipple so she can get it when she nurses.
browncoat
by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 9:08 AM
Yes, it's fine. Your dentist is playing CYA because they werent taught much about lactation in dental school;)
deagigi
by Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 9:22 AM
Thanks for your help. God bless
gdiamante
by Gina on Nov. 17, 2015 at 1:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Do keep your eyes open for possible reactions. My son and I are both allergic to Augmentin. He was prescribed it as an infant and got a really bad rash from it. I ended up getting horrible watering eyes and nasal stuffiness, as if I'd been rolling in a pile of cat dander (I'm allergic to cats).

wkukid
by on Nov. 18, 2015 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm on it right now, prescribed by my dentist as well. He called a pharmacist to confirm it was okay before he prescribed it to me.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2015 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this
The best resources for information on medication and breastfeeding: LactMed and Dr. Thomas Hale's Infant Risk Hotline at 1-806-352-2519.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)