Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need some back up here

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 2:59 PM
  • 9 Replies
My dh wants to use expressed bm that was left out all night in my insulated lunch bag w/o ice and I don't think we should. Please let me know if I am right or if it is still safe.
by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 2:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
engagedandproud
by Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 3:01 PM
Well bm can sit out at room temperature for about 6 hrs.
todmom92
by Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 3:05 PM
It has been over 12

Quoting engagedandproud: Well bm can sit out at room temperature for about 6 hrs.
candibear23518
by Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 3:08 PM
I wouldn't risk it honestly. Although bm can stay in room temperature for 6 hours, and there was an icepack in the bag, 12 hrs is a really long time to leave bm out.
engagedandproud
by Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 3:11 PM
Then dump it.

Quoting todmom92: It has been over 12

Quoting engagedandproud: Well bm can sit out at room temperature for about 6 hrs.
suomynona_amam
by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 3:15 PM
Dump it. That's too many hours.

Quoting todmom92: It has been over 12

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
todmom92
by Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 4:01 PM
1 mom liked this
That was my thought as well, I just needed to prove that fact to my husband. I asked him if he would drink milk that was left out of the fridge all night in a warm room. He just stopped fighti g then lol.

Quoting candibear23518: I wouldn't risk it honestly. Although bm can stay in room temperature for 6 hours, and there was an icepack in the bag, 12 hrs is a really long time to leave bm out.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this
If you need more information for future reference, or to show your husband, look up "milk storage" on Kellymom.com.
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Feb. 1, 2016 at 12:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Next time, taste it. You'll know if it is bad or not.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Feb. 1, 2016 at 1:17 AM
Somewhere there was a study that showed the bacteria in breastmilk actually went down after x number of hours, because of the antibacterial properties of the milk. Something that can't be said for pasteurized cow milk that's left out. But obviously there is a point where it starts to go bad. I'd think 12 hours might be past that point, but like Amy said, smell it or taste it, and you'd probably know.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)