Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Jealousy

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 6:10 PM
  • 4 Replies
I've just had a new baby (just over a week now, born last Saturday) who I am currently EBF (eventually will pump also)

I'm also still feeding our 23 month old.

I know it is only been a month but we have noticed in that week that the thing the toddler is most put out about is the fact that this new baby is on my boob far more than him and he has to share.

I know it is early doors but what have people done to try and limit the possibility of jealousy in a situation like that.
by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 6:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 31, 2016 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this

This would have happened with or without the nursing, first off. The only way to absolutely avoid the jealousy is not to have the second child, but the horse is long gone from that barn! **grin**

What my (non-nursing) mother did with me: If I was going to try for what my baby brother had, I had to do EVERYTHING he did and was not allowed to do anything he could not. That meant I had to take NAPS. I HATED naps. That was all it took.

StreetsAhead
by New Member on Feb. 1, 2016 at 4:01 AM
I know it would happen whatever. I have siblings.

It is more that over this past week he has tried to climb on me while feeding, begin to get upset, go foot my other breast. I have this thing that he may try to pull the baby off (in the way you do with starring a toy almost). I'm trying to limit those things.

I can see your mothers way however I don't want him to think that somehow BF is connected to being a baby/far younger

Quoting gdiamante:

This would have happened with or without the nursing, first off. The only way to absolutely avoid the jealousy is not to have the second child, but the horse is long gone from that barn! **grin**

What my (non-nursing) mother did with me: If I was going to try for what my baby brother had, I had to do EVERYTHING he did and was not allowed to do anything he could not. That meant I had to take NAPS. I HATED naps. That was all it took.

melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 1, 2016 at 6:41 AM
Congrats :)

For me I nursed them together pretty often in the early weeks. Actually the toddler would actually usually start the nursing then I would add the baby in. Once she realized moms milk was just as much hers as babies she did back down a little.
Also having a breastfeeding activity basket. Keep books, small puzzles, a few crayons and a special coloring, small toy sets etc so you can easily play/read with the toddler while nursing.
gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 1, 2016 at 9:07 AM

^^^ PRECISELY what Melinda said. Give him something that's all his own while you're nursing the baby. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)