Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice. I'm tired of EBF

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2016 at 12:41 AM
  • 13 Replies
I have been EBF my daughter for 8 months now but not by choice. I mean I chose to breast feed but I thought When she around 2 months I could pump and she would take the bottle and everything would be dandy. But I have been struggling for 6 months to get her to take a bottle I've tried so many methods, bottles, sippy cups even a medicine dropper ( her doctors suggestion) so I've been EBF but I would love for her to take a sippy cup or anything else but somehow I got to the point where it's like I'm a human pacifier and night time is the worst because she wakes up and wants her human paci. I know I messed up by letting her fall asleep on the breast. I got it to this point but I need advice on how I can get her to take something else or sooth herself to sleep another way. I'm feeling so overwhelmed and stressed because I feel as if I have no free time to myself anymore at night. she is waking up so often now like when she was a newborn. Help before I lose all my hair lol
by on Feb. 6, 2016 at 12:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Feb. 6, 2016 at 12:57 AM
1 mom liked this
8 months is a miserable sleep regression for many babies, regardless of how they're fed. And most of us will tell you that a baby falling asleep at the breast is actually natural order and a pretty quick and efficient mothering tool to get a baby to sleep. Only my fifth baby ever accepted a bottle, and only about 5 times, between 2 and 5 weeks. And only my third ever took a pacifier. My babies nursed to sleep, and through the night, beyond the first year. At 8 months you're in a bind because we'd still be telling you that babies should nurse on demand day and night until they're a year old. She's probably also teething. AND hitting milestones, like sitting and crawling and pulling up. These things typically screw up sleep. Do you bedshare? I cant imagine actually waking up and habing to go get the baby. Hopefully she passes through this stage quickly, but unfortunately you still have to pass through it.
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Feb. 6, 2016 at 2:15 AM
I agree with Stacy!^^^
suomynona_amam
by on Feb. 6, 2016 at 2:15 AM
I nursed mine in their beds at bedtime and left them there. They slept longer before they woke up and then when they did I brought (actually dh usually did it) them into bed with me where they usually nursed on and off until morning.
I don't see nursing a baby to sleep as an issue. It is much harder to put a breastfeeding baby to sleep without the breast for the one breastfeeding them. The only practical way of your child going to sleep without nursing is for someone else to put him to sleep or for her to grow out of it. She will grow out of it eventually. One of mine grew out if it around 13-14 months old, the other is two and still nurses to sleep sometimes. They stay in their own beds all night though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2016 at 2:49 AM
I had to pump and bottle feed my first two, it was miserable. My second was even switched to formula at 10 months (didn't help sleeping), but they all woke multiple times at night. Wouldn't take a bottle/paci, just screamed. My third has never had a bottle/paci ever, falls asleep at the breast pretty much every time since birth. Best sleeper ever!!! It was so much easier, just flop out a boob, poke it in her general direction, we both go back to sleep. She wakes less times and calms immediately when she does wake. There's nothing wrong with nursing to sleep and every kid has a different personality. Even if you did get her to take a bottle, it likely won't help. 8 months was the worst sleep regression ever
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2016 at 6:13 AM
I'm literally nursing my daughter back to sleep now. Nursing to sleep is normal. The first year babies call the shots. 3 kids and counting for me and no sleep. Once I changed my expectations, everything was smooth sailing.
Marvilmomma
by New Member on Feb. 6, 2016 at 10:07 AM
Thanks everyone. Yes I do co sleep with her now it's the only way I can get sleep. Everything is so much different with her than my two boys I breastfed them for only 2 months then gave them formula and at 8 months they just went to bed so easiy and slept all night. I guess that's why I have felt so overwhelmed I thought she was going to be a breeze like they were lol. I'll stick it out and I know in time it will get easier and if I end up with just a few strands of hair well that's ok too haha.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2016 at 12:28 PM
First of all, thank you on behalf of your daughter, for sticking with nursing. Breastmilk, being especially designed by nature for human babies, is digested more quickly and efficiently. Formula, being an artificial substitute made of cow's milk or another non-human milk, is harder and slower to digest, and leaves behind more waste.

Babies are meant to be close to their mothers, especially during the first year. Night waking to feed is actually a protection against SIDS. A pacifier is really a substitute for the mother; in some countries, a pacifier is called a dummy.

Stay with it. Let someone else offer expressed milk in a sippy or straw cup when you are totally away from her. At this age, may babies prefer to wait for mom, and make up for lost time.
LBJK2
by Member on Feb. 7, 2016 at 9:51 AM
I gave up trying to get them to sooth themselves. It is easier on everyone to nurse them back to sleep. My husband tried to help. Baby would scream for an hour, then I would get up and nurse him to sleep. I now just get up and nurse. Saves me from listening to him scream.
gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 7, 2016 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Marvilmomma: I have been EBF my daughter for 8 months now but not by choice. I mean I chose to breast feed but I thought When she around 2 months I could pump and she would take the bottle and everything would be dandy. But I have been struggling for 6 months to get her to take a bottle I've tried so many methods, bottles, sippy cups even a medicine dropper ( her doctors suggestion) so I've been EBF but I would love for her to take a sippy cup or anything else but somehow I got to the point where it's like I'm a human pacifier and night time is the worst because she wakes up and wants her human paci.
First: Many babies NEVER take a bottle from mom. I call it the stale cookie scenario: If you walked into your grandma's house while she was baking cookies, went to grab a fresh one and she slapped your hand and shoved a box of stale Oreos at you, you'd think Granny had gone gaga. Baby thinks the same thing.
Next: Even if she did take the bottle, it wouldn't fix that nighttime problem, I'm afraid. We've seen that often as well.
I know I messed up by letting her fall asleep on the breast.
You didn't. You "messed up" by not letting your other kids do that. **grin** You did FINE with this one. (And with the others too.) It's all normal and how they're supposed to be.
I got it to this point but I need advice on how I can get her to take something else or sooth herself to sleep another way. I'm feeling so overwhelmed and stressed because I feel as if I have no free time to myself anymore at night. she is waking up so often now like when she was a newborn. Help before I lose all my hair lol

Hand baby to DAD. He is in charge of bedtime. You disappear from her world. It will take time. It won't be fioxed tonight or next Sunday night and maybe not for a month of Sundays.

Check out "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley. It will reassure you. This baby is NORMAL... if they're inconvenient, it means all is well! **grin**

gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 7, 2016 at 1:42 PM

I always say if you have it easy with them as babies you'll pay for it down the line. Usually in the teen years!

Quoting Marvilmomma: Thanks everyone. Yes I do co sleep with her now it's the only way I can get sleep. Everything is so much different with her than my two boys I breastfed them for only 2 months then gave them formula and at 8 months they just went to bed so easiy and slept all night. I guess that's why I have felt so overwhelmed I thought she was going to be a breeze like they were lol. I'll stick it out and I know in time it will get easier and if I end up with just a few strands of hair well that's ok too haha.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)